To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted . . .

David Robinson

Jun 19, 2006, 4:30:06 AM6/19/06
Hi

I am developing webpages. Every time I open an HTM file from my computer
which contains Javascript I get the message "To help protect your security
Internet Explorer has restricted this file from showing active content that
could access your computer. Click here for options . . .". It then takes
three clicks of the mouse before I get into my page. How can I stop this??

Ironically if I access the same page from my ISP, rather than from my hard
disk, everything works fine. Why is IE6 trying to protect me from myself?

This seems to be a new problem

David Robinson

Don Varnau

Jun 19, 2006, 6:32:35 AM6/19/06
Did you recently update to XP SP2? You've encountered the Local Machine
Lockdown feature of SP2:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2brows.mspx#EKQBG

There are three workarounds for this:
1. Rename each .HTM file to .HTA while it's still on your HD. HTA files
aren't as restricted.
2. Give each page the "Mark of the Web"
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/motw.asp
3. Internet Options> Advanced> Security> check "Allow active content to run
in files on My Computer ."
You will, of course, be giving up some of the enhanced security of the XP
SP2 update.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2brows.mspx#EIAA

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"David Robinson" <david[at]ndrobinson.plus.com> wrote in message

David Robinson

Jun 19, 2006, 7:07:18 AM6/19/06
Hi Don

Many thanks, that seems to have fixed it.

What a complicated world we are living in!!

David

David Robinson

Jun 19, 2006, 4:35:49 PM6/19/06
Hi

My thanks to Don for his quick reply was a little premature!! One of my web
pages has links which load a PDF and a DOC file. How can I apply a "Mark of
the Web" to these files? As things are when I click on a link to either of
these files, nothing happens.

David

"David Robinson" <da...@ndrobinson.plus.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Don Varnau

Jun 19, 2006, 5:45:27 PM6/19/06
PDF and DOC file types are medium risk file types, so at worst, there might
be a prompt asking if you want to download the file.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883260
The Mark of the Web shouldn't have affected the downloading of these files.

Is there a prompt or error message?

> Hi
>
> My thanks to Don for his quick reply was a little premature!! One of my
web
> pages has links which load a PDF and a DOC file. How can I apply a "Mark
of
> the Web" to these files? As things are when I click on a link to either
of
> these files, nothing happens.
>
> David

> Hi,
> Did you recently update to XP SP2? You've encountered the Local Machine
> Lockdown feature of SP2:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2brows.mspx#EKQBG

> There are three workarounds for this:
> 1. Rename each .HTM file to .HTA while it's still on your HD. HTA files
> aren't as restricted.
> 2. Give each page the "Mark of the Web"

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/motw.asp
> 3. Internet Options> Advanced> Security> check "Allow active content to
run
> in files on My Computer ."
> You will, of course, be giving up some of the enhanced security of the XP
> SP2 update.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2brows.mspx#EIAA

David Robinson

Jun 20, 2006, 3:53:19 AM6/20/06
Hi Don

No, I am afraid it really does nothing - ie I click on a link to a PDF and
nothing happens - no prompt or error message or anything.

If I remove the MOTW comment from the page in question, then I can open the
page from my disk (there's no Javascript in this particular page) and the
link to the PDF works, but then of course I cannot call the page itself from
my home page! It seems that if I put an MOTW into my home page (which
contains scripting), then I must also put an MOTW into every subsidiary page
that it calls, whether these subsidiary pages contain scripts or not. Is
this what was intended?

David

oops!!

Jun 24, 2006, 1:50:43 PM6/24/06

Don check your date (are you running Vista?).

Zee

> Hi,
> Sorry, I lost track of this thread. I don't know why the MOTW changes the
> way these files load (or don't.) I suspect that once the HTM pages were on
> server, not on your HD, that the links would work.
>
> You might try renaming the HTM files to HTA when working on them. You
> won't
> then need the MOTW.
>
> If you have PDF and DOC files set to open in Adobe Reader and Word, will
> they load? For DOC it's Folder Options> File Types> DOC> Advanced> uncheck
> "Browse in same window." For PDF it's in Adobe Reader at Edit>
> Preferences>
> Internet> uncheck "Display PDF in
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE] browser."

> "David Robinson" <david[at]ndrobinson.plus.com> wrote in message

>> > "David Robinson" <david[at]ndrobinson.plus.com> wrote in message

> my
>> > web
> "Mark
>> > of
> either
>> > of

Don Varnau

Jun 24, 2006, 4:05:37 PM6/24/06
Temporary problem... possibly a PBCAK [1] error. ;-)

[1] Problem between chair and keyboard.

Don

"oops!!" <notme[at]nowhere.com> wrote in message

oops!!

Jun 24, 2006, 5:51:22 PM6/24/06
Quite common, I must say...
:-))