Error 0x800CCC6A while sending email

Joseph Kool

Mar 5, 2006, 2:41:55 PM3/5/06
Help needed.
I have set up a friend's email account on a "new" computer (in fact an
old IBM 300GL) and while she can receive emails fine using OE6, when she
tries to send them she gets this error message:

"An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'Re:Whatever...', Account:
'TalkTalk', Server:'smtp.talktalk.net', Protocol:SMTP, Server
response:'451 Error while writing spool file',Port: 25, Secure (SSL):
No, Server Error:451, Error Number:
0x800ccc6a"

Now I've been trying to sort it for a couple of weeks and have tried
alternate server addresses, with and without a password, looking at the
firewall and the virus scanner but no joy. It must be something simple,
right?

The computer is running Win2k, SP4, and OE version 6. I've installed AVG
anti-virus and ZoneAlarm firewall - all the latest versions.

Any help gratefully received.

Jim Pickering

Mar 5, 2006, 3:00:16 PM3/5/06
The code message, 0x800ccc6a, is shorthand for SMTP processing error. It
suggests your friend may have more than one mail account setup and is
attempting to send using an account that they are not presently connected
to, or that the address they are attempting to send a mail message to is not
correct. You can find a listing of error codes for Outlook Express in this
KB article:

OLEXP: Outlook Express Error Codes:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;208814

--
Jim Pickering, MVP, Outlook Express
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=F9F51EF1-4AE3-4D23-B2D8-1171988A62D6

"Joseph Kool" <fb...@aol.com> wrote in message

Michael Santovec

Mar 5, 2006, 4:54:03 PM3/5/06
You need to talk to the mail server administrator for
'smtp.talktalk.net'

The error message

'451 Error while writing spool file'

is coming from the SMTP mail server. Either the server has a serious
problem, or perhaps it's not recognizing your friend as an authorized
sender and so is giving a misleading message.

Joseph Kool

Mar 6, 2006, 1:53:18 PM3/6/06
In article <uyZdW9IQ...@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
jim.pi...@gmail.com says...

> The code message, 0x800ccc6a, is shorthand for SMTP processing error. It
> suggests your friend may have more than one mail account setup and is
> attempting to send using an account that they are not presently connected
> to, or that the address they are attempting to send a mail message to is not
> correct. You can find a listing of error codes for Outlook Express in this
> KB article:
>
> OLEXP: Outlook Express Error Codes:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;208814

Thanks for this.
There's something peculiar going on at talktalk.net as in response to an
email asking for help the outgoing email has mysteriously begun to work!
So far!