Lagging right-click menu in IE5 latest ver under AOL5.

Andrea Sandor

Aug 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/26/00
I know, AOL IE is the bane of the world. Well, so some say. But it's my only
available browser, so I need a li'l bit o' help here.

When I right-click in a IE child window inside AOL, the right-click menu
appears after several seconds, instead of nearly immediately as it did before I
upgraded. Nothing freezes, nothing lags, it just takes a couple seconds for it
to appear visually. However, if you click, it responds to wherever you clicked
when it appears.

I've been to AOL tech help and we've isolated it's not a memory problem or
program conflict. I (think I gotten a new version of my pointer - Intellimouse
- and) have upgraded the mouse driver, which did not help. (That was the
techie's suggestion.) System and Mouse Properties think the mouse is fine
(System thought my CD was fine, too, when it would barely function..), and the
right-click menu appears promptly anywhere else. Any new suggestions?

Running MSIE 5.0 Build 52314.1003 under AOL 5.0 Revision 157.106 under Windows
95 v4.00, Build 950 ""
Pentium, 64 mbs RAM, typically running WinAmp, AOL, MyCorkboard
(mycorkboard.com), PowerTools (in tray icon - Launch mode).
Backgrounded: WinGuard, Sound Properties (icon), QuickFinder Scheduler, MGA
Quickdesk, MSWheel, and various other things I don't know about .. Performance
is typically ~50%, but that appears not to affect it because when everything
was closed, I was up to 70% but still lagging..

Thanks in advance, anybodys ..

-- Andrea
<\-=- Harlan Foxflyer Mobus -=-/>
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade.
And if life hands you tomatoes, make a Bloody Mary.

Sandi Hardmeier MVP

Aug 27, 2000, 2:34:12 AM8/27/00
Andrea,

There have been a few issues implicated in this problem.

Firstly, the number of fonts installed on your computer. Unless you do
desktop publishing you don't need more than a hundred or so.. just don't
delete the tahoma fonts <G>

There were a few reports of installed software causing slow downs -- one
report blamed MS Media Manager v1.0 and the 'Picture It' program. You can
try shutting down all programmes, then using ctrl/alt/del to shut down
everything except for explorer and systray before booting up IE and testing
to see if the problem is gone.

Sandi
Microsoft MVP (Internet Explorer and Outlook Express)
Please do not email me unless asked to do so.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~sandi/MVP/index.htm

"Andrea Sandor" <harl...@aol.com> wrote in message