Registry Key NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation

Mark Strother

Oct 5, 2009, 2:27:03 PM10/5/09
Previous versions of Windows only supported a value of 1 or 2 indicated short
name file creation was either on or off. In Windows 7 and Windows 2008R2 this
registry key is set to a default value of 2. Can anyone point me to a
definition of this value?I'm trying to figure out this new default value
means.

Thanks!

malx

Oct 15, 2009, 4:35:54 PM10/15/09

0 - Short name creation enabled (always)
1 - Short name creation disabled (always)
2 - Short name creation per-volume (Win7+)
3 - Short name creation on system volume only (Win7+)

See fsutil 8dot3name for how to configure this, and change the setting
on individual volumes.

- M