About Avast!

1 view

Tony Sperling

Oct 12, 2005, 9:24:08 AM10/12/05
Hi, everyone.

For all those Avast users, with the problem of Windows sporadically refusing
to 'shut down' or 're-boot', I may have stumbled upon a. . .solution, if you
like; by simply waiting until windows has finished turning the screen
'black&white', and then hitting the prefered option - it has not failed me
once over a time-span of, say four days.

(ifyou can call that a time-span)

I realize that this indicates precisely nothing, but it might be more
indicative with more observations from out there.

Good day!

Tony. . .

Carlos

Oct 12, 2005, 9:50:02 AM10/12/05
Hi, Tony:
My experience has been quite a different one.
Former motherboard was a BIOSTAR K8NHA-Pro mobo (NForce3 150 chipset) with
an FX5700 AGP video card.
The only workaround for the "avast issue" was then to shut down as many
programs as I could before shutting down Windows.
Later on I switched to an ASUS AN8-SLI mobo (NForce 4 chipset) with an 6600
(NVidia chipset) PCIe video card.
I have had no shutdown problems ever since.
Hardware related?
Maybe.
"Black & White" related?
Another maybe.
Carlos

John Barnes

Oct 12, 2005, 10:07:03 AM10/12/05
For what it is worth, mine hangs on the blue ' Windows is shutting down'
screen. What is a preferred option key?

"Carlos" <Car...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Tony Sperling

Oct 12, 2005, 11:10:31 AM10/12/05
Hi,John

"John Barnes" <jbf...@email.net> wrote in message

> For what it is worth, mine hangs on the blue ' Windows is shutting down'
> screen. What is a preferred option key?

[Standby]; [ShutDown];[ReBoot];

During the while that this dialog is displayed the screen fades the color
saturation and everything goes B&W except the dialog. My incentive at this
instance is usually not to hang about, but to click on one of those options
before the fading even starts.

Tony. . .

Tony Sperling

Oct 12, 2005, 11:10:16 AM10/12/05

"Carlos" <Car...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, Tony:
> My experience has been quite a different one.
> Former motherboard was a BIOSTAR K8NHA-Pro mobo (NForce3 150 chipset) with
> an FX5700 AGP video card.
> The only workaround for the "avast issue" was then to shut down as many
> programs as I could before shutting down Windows.
> Later on I switched to an ASUS AN8-SLI mobo (NForce 4 chipset) with an
> 6600
> (NVidia chipset) PCIe video card.
> I have had no shutdown problems ever since.
> Hardware related?
> Maybe.
> "Black & White" related?
> Another maybe.
> Carlos

Yes, a whole lot of those. Personally, I've found that closing the blue icon
(the one with the 'A') was enough, but a nuicance just the same. But it made
me wonder, since people were reporting some Hard-Ware did not show this
behavior, like you say too. And I started wondering how different
Motherboards could affect the way the OS sends out it's messages.

I have no inclination to suggest that the BW process on it's own has
anything to do with the problem - merely, that the time spent has useful
effects.

I imagine that an AV, that sits deeply inserted in every
data-point-of-exchange (socket; port; file stream) just might like to have a
little time to release all that before the system shuts down and that some
conflict over priorities arise when they step on each other's toes. So, I
thought it might be worthwhile to keep an eye on what kind of Hard-Ware was
sensitive and when it was sensitive and if anything at all was likely to be
able to make any kind of difference.

And it won't surprise me in the least if it won't. ( :0| )

Greetings, Tony. . .

John Barnes

Oct 12, 2005, 11:35:30 AM10/12/05
Thanks. I have a shutdown problem on x32 rarely, not connected with AVAST,
but in that case I can click turn off computer as many times as I want and
nothing happens. My problem on x64 goes to the shutting down screen and
never goes to the safe to shutdown or turns off.

"Tony Sperling" <tony.s...@dbREMOVEmail.dk> wrote in message

Tony Sperling

Oct 12, 2005, 12:30:13 PM10/12/05
O.K. - Have you tried right-click'n on the Avast icon in System Tray, and
have it exit, before going through the shutdown/re-boot motions? As I said,
elsewhere, it is a pest - but it works here.

Tony. . .

"John Barnes" <jbf...@email.net> wrote in message

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Oct 12, 2005, 8:54:28 PM10/12/05
I thought that Safe to Shutdown was removed in XP? Its still there? The last
time I saw it was on my Zenith running 95, 98, NT and 2000 Pro
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

janman_dk

Oct 14, 2005, 3:50:03 AM10/14/05
Been using Avast through my life with XP-64. In the start I also experienced
shutdown problems but they went away after updating BIOS/drivers/Avast ...
who knows ?! ;-)
Not a problem for months until I installed the Battlefield 2 demo; everytime
after a BF2 session, shutdown wouldn't work!!

So I am not so sure that Avast is to blame for all the problems.

Tony Sperling

Oct 14, 2005, 5:41:14 AM10/14/05
Hello.

Thanks for the info. Blame, or not - I think Avast may have a problem with
handing things back to the system when the system needs to shut down. Or
perhaps, the system is vague about it's messaging? Wasn't it our estimated
John Barnes who informed us about this issue having been on the company
forum for many years? Apparantly, the company's answer was silence. Pity,
because I really like the product for it's tenacity and the extremely
frequent updates, often as a daily occurance, but the interesting thing is
how some are more affected than others, and some again - not at all. The
chances of finding a pattern must exist, surely?

I am dual-booting with Win2K and the method of having Windows pause for some
several seconds, between asking for a shut-down from the start menu and
issuing the final command from the dialog, seems to be slightly more
effective in Win2K, but it seems to have, at least, some effect all around.
I am continuing my search, but my methods aren't scientific. At the moment I
am trying to keep an eye on the last thing I had the machine do, before
shutting down, was it network related or. . ?

Regards, Tony. . .

"janman_dk" <janm...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

John Barnes

Oct 14, 2005, 7:03:35 AM10/14/05
It would be nice to be able to isolate the problem. It is a nice A/V. With
all the posts on their site, from Win98 on, there didn't seem to be a
solution, but I only looked at a dozen or so posts. I am sure that if the
those in this ng, who have kept it installed in spite of the problem, do
what you are doing, and think thru their sessions when the problem happens,
the solution will be found. Thanks for the info.

"Tony Sperling" <tony.s...@dbREMOVEmail.dk> wrote in message

Tony Sperling

Oct 14, 2005, 11:03:17 AM10/14/05
Thank You, John.

I was just wondering - do you know of anyone who invested in the
(Professional, was it?) version. I would like to hear how that was behaving?

Tony. . .

"John Barnes" <jbf...@email.net> wrote in message

John Barnes

Oct 14, 2005, 11:34:14 AM10/14/05
I don't remember who, but I remember at least 2 posts of people who bought
it and were happy with it. I don't remember if either had been having
either the shutdown problem or the data problem, also reported.

"Tony Sperling" <tony.s...@dbREMOVEmail.dk> wrote in message

Tony Sperling

Oct 14, 2005, 12:21:57 PM10/14/05
O.K. - Thanks. Sooner or later, I may be inclined to make the jump myself,
then we'll know!!!

Tony. . .

"John Barnes" <jbf...@email.net> wrote in message

don

Oct 16, 2005, 9:28:58 PM10/16/05
I have went in to control panel, accounts, and change my log on/off to the
classic view, and disabled fast user switching. so far this seems to of
fixed my shutdown problem. I ll report back if it shows up again

Don

"Tony Sperling" <tony.s...@dbREMOVEmail.dk> wrote in message

Tony Sperling

Oct 17, 2005, 6:46:16 AM10/17/05
Thanks, Don. That is wonderful news! This one, I am definitely going to try.

Tony. . .

"don" <drfr...@pmt.org> wrote in message

don

Oct 17, 2005, 5:16:45 PM10/17/05
I have gone through several reboots and shutdown/restart cycles now and
still no
more problems. let me know if it helps for you !!

Don