SP-2 Install Help!

1 view

Briamor

Mar 29, 2009, 8:35:46 PM3/29/09
Whenever "Automatic Updates" clicks on, it starts to download, and install
(for my Windows XP Pro)
XP "Service Pack 2" (XP SP-2)

After a minute or so it downloads fine.
Then it starts installing it.
After about 4 mins. a sign pops up, "ACCESS DENIED"

Then it proceeds to uninstall what it was just installing. (SP-2)

I have alot of updates that need to be installed,and none of them will
install unless my computer has "Service Pack 2" already installed on it.
Such As: Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player, Safety updates, Service
Pack 3, etc....

Does anyone know why I can't get "Service Pack 2" to install on my
computer?
Whats "Access Denied" mean, and how can I fix this?

I remember a few years ago (maybe this'll have something to do with my
problem), I had a program that wouldn't run on Windows XP Pro, it needed to
have a "Fat-32" File System, so I downloaded some propiatory software, that
switched my NTFS to FAT-32. Could that be the problem? or does everyone that
uses Windows XP Pro, have it set to Fat-32?

File System "Fat-32"

Please Help

Bruce

Stefan Pendl

Mar 30, 2009, 4:00:42 AM3/30/09
On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 19:35:46 -0500, "Briamor" <bri...@optonline.net> wrote:

>Whenever "Automatic Updates" clicks on, it starts to download, and install
>(for my Windows XP Pro)
>XP "Service Pack 2" (XP SP-2)
>
>After a minute or so it downloads fine.
>Then it starts installing it.
>After about 4 mins. a sign pops up, "ACCESS DENIED"
>
>Then it proceeds to uninstall what it was just installing. (SP-2)
>
>I have alot of updates that need to be installed,and none of them will
>install unless my computer has "Service Pack 2" already installed on it.
>Such As: Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player, Safety updates, Service
>Pack 3, etc....

You can boot into save mode and try to install from there, this is recommended, if the installation fails in regular mode.
In regular mode make sure to disable any anti-virus software before installing SP2 and make sure that only the bare minimum of
applications is running, so turn off any applications displayed in the system tray.

You do not need to download SP2 once more, it should already be available inside the "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download"
folder.
You will have to search the folder, since the files are not labeled informative.

---
Stefan Pendl

Windows Vista SP 1
AMD Turion X2 RM-70 2 GHz