Handling bugcheck: Howto configure windbg?

Armin Zingler

Jan 13, 2008, 11:08:40 AM1/13/08

I'm new to this, so please bare with me... This is a question about
configuring windbg, so I hope I'm correct here this time.

I have two machines (XP/SP2) connected via nullmodemcable (only option
available). The connection worked well all the time. PC #1 is the
crashing machine (started with /debug option in boot.ini), PC #2 runs
Windbg. It has been setup to be able to analyze the next crash.

After some days, it finally happened (bug check 0x50). WinDbg shows the
debug info "*** Fatal System Error: 0x00000050 (...)". I expected that
Windbg breaks if the bugcheck occurs, but it didn't (still showing
"Debuggee is running"). I tried Ctrl+Break, but even after waiting
several minutes, nothing happend (still showing "Debuggee is running").

Obviously I didn't configure Windbg correctly. I read the chapter
"Controlling Exceptions and Events", but I fail to see which event I
have to configure to make Windbg stop at the bugcheck. Could you please
tell me how to do it? Thanks.

BTW, even though Windbg didn't break into the bugcheck, the crashing
machine stopped (with looping sound) without showing a BSOD and without
writing a full memory dump. I wonder why this is because, before, I've
tried the ".crash" command in order to learn how to handle the real
crash later, and it worked as expected.

Armin

Ivan Brugiolo [MSFT]

Jan 14, 2008, 2:47:13 PM1/14/08
Having a system running for days/weeks with a kernel-debugger
attached is a very normal configuration, and, the default
configuration makes the debugger to break-in at the time the bugcheck
occurrs.

You may want to check for stale charcter in the kd prompt
(sometimes, you press `g` - `ENTER` several times, and, those
character are processes at the next time a debug event occurs).

In general, after a machine is up and running with kd, you should
try to break-in (Ctrl-C), set-up symbols, and, execute basic routine
commands, such as `!process 0 0` to make sure the setup is proper.

Use of any included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

"Armin Zingler" <az.n...@freenet.de> wrote in message

Armin Zingler

Jan 15, 2008, 4:01:39 AM1/15/08
I verified everything that it should work, but it didn't. I'll
have to wait till the next crash (which disables me writing
applications using VB.Net, as you might know from the other
group).

Thanks anyway.

Armin

"Ivan Brugiolo [MSFT]" <ivan...@online.microsoft.com> schrieb