Ping & DNS OK but no HTTP or FTP

Thom Kerr

Jun 13, 2002, 6:23:26 PM6/13/02
I am running w98 (not SE) with patches up to date.

Internet access was working beautifully until today. No changes made to my
system that I know of. Today things are messed up.

Some stuff works. I can hit machines on the Internet with Ping packets.
Furthermore DNS seems OK because ping resolves domain names. Running
winipcfg returns the normal information about my TCP/IP settings. The
settings on control panel/ network/TCPIP look OK.

But it appears that TCP protocols are not working. Web browsing fails
(IE6). The browser sends back , "The Page Can Not be Displayed. FTP is
also not working. FTPing from the command line returns "ftp: socket:
10047."

I get the same behavior whether I use a dial-up modem connection or DSL.

I tried deleting and adding back the TCP protocol. That did not help.

The ethernet card that I use for the Cable modem connection does provide an
effective connection when I connect it to my home LAN. I can access files
and ping other machines on the LAN. However I can not browse to my local
web server.

Maybe there is a problem with the TCP/IP stack or something. Any ideas how
to troubleshoot this further??? I am stuck.

Thanks in advance.

Sandi - Microsoft MVP

Jun 14, 2002, 10:29:40 AM6/14/02
Thom,

Have a look here; I would suggest an aberrant hosts file is the problem for
your page problems:
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers.htm#dns

Review all settings as per this link (assuming you are using ICS):
http://www.pobox.com/users/winograd/faq.htm

The ftp error could be caused by a missing or damaged wsock32.dll which is
also mentioned in the first link.

Please do not send an email unless asked to do so.
Sandi Hardmeier
Microsoft MVP (Internet Explorer and Outlook Express)
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer

"Thom Kerr" <thom...@dslextreme.com> wrote in message

this old man

Jun 14, 2002, 2:45:33 PM6/14/02
Neither of those links are accessible

"Sandi - Microsoft MVP" <sandi_h...@mvps.org> wrote in message

this old man

Jun 14, 2002, 3:01:21 PM6/14/02
deleted my network settings, reinstalled, rebooted, OK!

this old man

Jun 15, 2002, 9:10:29 AM6/15/02
tools > internet options > connections > dial-up settings > settings >
unchoose use proxy server

Thom Kerr

Jun 15, 2002, 6:26:08 PM6/15/02

> Have a look here; I would suggest an aberrant hosts file is the problem
for
> your page problems:
> http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers.htm#dns

> The ftp error could be caused by a missing or damaged wsock32.dll which is

> also mentioned in the first link.

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I remain stymied.

I have tried the following to fix the problem:
- removed and added back the TCP/IP protocol
- confirmed that I have not selected a proxy server within my connection
settings
- replaced the hosts file
- replaced the wsock32.dll file with one from the CD
- looked for but did not find the Matrix virus footprint
- downloaded and a Symantec tool intended to find and fix the Matrix
virus.
- removed extraneous programs from start up

Somewhere along the way something I did knocked out DNS. When I discovered
the problem I could ping out to the Internet using domain names. Now I can
still hit Internet machines with pings but only by specifying the target IP
address.

this old man

Jun 16, 2002, 10:29:47 AM6/16/02
what's an "aberrant hosts file"?

"Thom Kerr" <thom...@dslextreme.com> wrote in message

Henri Leboeuf

Jun 16, 2002, 11:08:31 AM6/16/02
Some reading.

The best way is to block the server from tracking you in the first place
Blocking Ads with a Hosts File.
You can use a HOSTS file to block ads, banners, cookies, web bugs, and even
most java scripts. This is accomplished by blocking the Server that supplies
these little gems.
Example - 127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net
blocks all files supplied by the DoubleClick Server to the web page you are
viewing.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

--

Henri Leboeuf

"'this old man'" <beg...@mpinet.net> wrote in message

Thom Kerr

Jun 17, 2002, 11:38:16 AM6/17/02
My problem remains unsolved. I have new pieces of information I can add to
the puzzle. Telnet does not work (tells me I cannot open a connection). My
pop mail client does not work to either receive or send.

So the problem appears to affect all TCP/IP applications (browser, FTP,
telnet, SMTP). But ICMP (ping) works including the ability to resolve host
names.

Suggestions on how to proceed are welcome. I only have a couple days left
to solve this problem as I need to head out of town for an extended period
of time.

Thanks for the input.
thom

Thom Kerr

Jun 17, 2002, 4:31:58 PM6/17/02
Problem Resolved!!

I followed the instructions found in the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article
QB299409
(http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q299409).

The fix involved deleting these registry keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\Winsock(may not
exist)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\Winsock2

then deleting and adding back dial-up networking.

I still don't know what caused the problem. Perhaps a file had become
corrupted.

I learned a little bit in the process of solving the problem. Thanks for
the help.

William Hayes

Jun 17, 2002, 10:51:24 PM6/17/02

> Problem Resolved!!

Corrupted afvxd.vxd file.
Seen it with spy-ware programs that want to rewrite it so it will allow them
to by-pass winsock2 programs like ZoneAlarm's Firewall.

You can get a copy of Ad-ware (aaw.exe) off of the net to find the spy-ware.
Then get a firewall to stop annoying spy-ware from telling their parents
what a wonderful customer you are.
Or, you can have this happen again in about four days.

Sandi - Microsoft MVP