FIND won't find (a little looong winded)

Pebble

Aug 26, 2004, 12:51:00 PM8/26/04
Hi to all,
Having a problem with the "edit/find on this page" in internet explorer. 'Find' is greyed out and the 'cancel' doesn't cancel. The 'find all files' (from the start menu) works fine and have just this minute discovered that upon looking for my version number of IE 5 (to put in this message) it's blank on the help/about splash screen and also in my MSInfo32.exe there is an error along the lines of 'cannont display information - the component which displays this information is not functioning properly, or is not present on this machine' (Not for all functions though !?) I don't use this MSInfo tool often, so not sure if it is recent. At least Belarc can tell me ! It's v5.00.3020.2100_
The "edit/find" in OE only works for 'find message' not 'find text in this message'
Have googled but to no avail, most replies to similar posts are "well, gee, I have that problem too! Let me know when you find the answer."
and also mention of Java console ??
Thought I'd come here to my favourite newsgroup and ask the experts.
--
* * Pebble in Boulder * *
--

Name: MULTIMEDIA 800AU*
Microprocessor: Intel Pentium Ill 800MHz

PCR

Aug 26, 2004, 6:39:02 PM8/26/04
(1) "START, Run, MSInfo32, Tools menu, IE Repair Tool"
It produces a rather large "Fix IE Log.txt" in C:\Windows. IE & E
are basically one & the same. If this crashes, an over-install of IE is
indicated.

(2) Over-install IE. Try first without, but I believe it will request an
internet connection. Perhaps it is best to let it connect, actually. If
you don't care to get this fancy, just skip to step (c).

(a) Turn off interfering programs. Use http://www.pcmag.com/ 's
"StartupCop" or "EndItAll2". Or "START, Run, MSConfig, Startup tab".
Note what is unchecked, if anything. Then, go to the General tab &
disable the entire Startup Group, by clicking "Selective.." & unchecking
"Load Startup...". Reboot.

(b) Perhaps, if you haven't got EndItAll2, then "Ctrl-Alt-Del" & end
task all but Explorer & Systray. If this goes badly, start again from
top, & skip it next time.

(c) "START, Find, F/F, IE6Setup.exe". Click it in the Find window.

NOTE: If you are IE5, then it's "IE5Setup.exe". If there are more
than one (I have two each), click the one in "C:\WINDOWS\Windows
Update Setup Files" or "C:\Windows Update Setup Files", as applicable.

(d) Re-enable the Startup Group. That will automatically check all
items. Go to the Startup tab & uncheck any noted in step (a). Reboot.

(e) Perhaps go to Windows Update, to see whether it now offers
criticals.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Pebble" <Peb...@boulder.rock.com> wrote in message

Brian A.

Aug 26, 2004, 7:35:11 PM8/26/04
What happens if you press ctrl+F? Can you use find this way?

--
Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

glee

Aug 26, 2004, 10:14:55 PM8/26/04
For problems like this in IE, the general recommendation is to run a Repair on IE:

Click Start>Run, type the following and click Enter (to avoid typos, copy and paste
the line):
RUNDLL32 SETUPWBV.DLL,IE5Maintenance

Choose the Repair option, and follow the prompts.
If it says it cannot complete the repair, or if the repair does not fix the issue,
reinstall IE.

In this case however, I suggest you *upgrade* Internet Explorer and Outlook Express.
You are running version 5.0.x, which is outdated and not secure. You should upgrade
to IE 5.5 SP2, or better yet, IE6 SP1, and OE6.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Pebble

Aug 27, 2004, 10:55:18 AM8/27/04
Thanks guys,
As I stated in my original post MSinfo32 isn't working properly, ran the RUNDLL32 SETUPWBV.DLL,IE5Maintenance Glee, only to get an option to 'add component' (repair and uninstall are greyed out) which tells me can't find windows update setup files, 'run setup again from origial location' ieSetup.exe ? Don't have it. Have never seen it anywhere on my system. PCR has 2, maybe he has mine? Don't tell me it's time to upgrade to IE6! Do I have to uninstall ie5 beforehand?
Yes Brian, ctrl f does bring up the find window, but same thing, find is greyed out and cancel won't cancel, but can x it closed.
I didn't mention that I've just uninstalled Norton antivirus 2003, pay for subscription time again, so will try something else. Maybe Norton took some files with it, out of spite !

--
* * Pebble in Boulder * *

PCR

Aug 27, 2004, 5:54:10 PM8/27/04
I think it is best to upgrade your IE, at least to IE5.5. The file to
look for would be "IE5Setup.exe", as I posted, not what you wrote. Or
wait for Glee/Brian A. to come up with an URL, such as (but these may be
rusty)...

http://www.microsoft.com/ie Download IE & install later
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.asp
Download IE5.01SP2 IE5.5SP2 IE6
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q174/6/80.asp
How to save IE6 download
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/default.asp
Savable IE updates
http://helpdesk.uvic.ca/how-to/support/win95/msiexpl.html
Dundat's Alma Mater, perhaps

There is a Registry Key that can disable "Find", but you seem to be only
partially disabled. I don't know whether that is the way it works, to
just partially disable it...

"START button, Run, RegEdit", & navigate to...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Exp
lorer

That is,
(a) Click plus signs, beginning at "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" & ending with
"Policies".
(b) Click "Explorer" in the left pane, & look in the right pane.
(c) R-Clk "NoFind", if there, in the R-pane, & select "Modify".
(d) Change it to zeroes: 00 00 00 00.
(R-Arrow to left of "01", use delete key, type "00".)
(e) Exit, & it may be necessary to reboot.

WARNING: Do not get carried away in the Registry. It is very important
to the proper functioning of Windows. Muss it badly, & you must boot to
DOS & "Scanreg /Restore". Then, choose the date of the last successful
boot from the five offered.

The rest of this is just informational...

.....Start of Other things that may be done there.......
Right-click the right pane and select New, Binary Value, & name it:

NoClose To disable Shut Down.
NoFavoritesMenu To remove Favorites.
NoFileMenu To remove the File Menu in Explorer.
NoFind To remove Find.
NoLogOff To remove Log Off.
NoRecentDocsHistory To disable the Documents compilation process.
NoRecentDocsMenu To remove Documents.
NoRun To remove Run.
NoSaveSettings To prevent some few settings getting saved to the
Registry.
NoSetFolders To disable Control Panel and Printer folders.
NoTrayContextMenu To disable Taskbar context menu.
NoViewContextMenu To disable (all?) context menus.

Double-click the new entry, select modify, and add this value: 01 00 00
00.
To reverse the action, change the value to: 00 00 00 00
......End of Other things that may be done there.......

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q130234
Save Settings On Exit Option Enabled by Default
...Quote.............
...snip...
Setting the NoSaveSettings field to 1 prevents your settings from being
saved. When you set this value, the following items are not saved when
you exit Windows:

Changed icon positions on the desktop.
Windows that are open when you exit.
The size and position of the taskbar.
...End quote.......

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcr...@netzero.net

"Pebble" <Peb...@boulder.rock.com> wrote in message

Brian A.

Aug 27, 2004, 8:39:01 PM8/27/04
Not sure if IE5.5 can be obtained elsewhere which I doubt, but IE5.5 SP2 has entered into the extended support which makes it no longer available for download. It appears the latest for download now is IE6.

--
Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Mostly Me (MM)

Aug 27, 2004, 8:56:24 PM8/27/04
Brian A. wrote:
> Not sure if IE5.5 can be obtained elsewhere

Hi,

http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit

MM

Brian A.

Aug 27, 2004, 9:03:01 PM8/27/04
Now that's all cleared up. :o}

--
Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

PCR

Aug 27, 2004, 9:48:12 PM8/27/04
Uhuh. Looks like MM came up with something to supplement my rusty ones,
though.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcr...@netzero.net

"Brian A." <GoneFishn@aFarAwayLake> wrote in message

glee

Aug 27, 2004, 10:19:34 PM8/27/04
If you don't have the setup files for IE on your hard drive or on a CD
(ie5setup.exe), I suggest you install IE6 SP1, which you can get here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/ie6sp1/default.mspx
You do not need to uninstall your current version of IE....just upgrade right on top
of it.

If you are looking for an anti-virus app, here is a good free one (I am using
it)...AVG Free Edition:
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

When you install, update or uninstall Internet Explorer (or any large application),
you should be sure to close all open programs prior to starting the procedure.
Follow these guidelines:

Reboot.
Open the Temp folder and delete all Temp files:
-Click Start>Run, type %temp% and click OK.
-Press Ctrl+A to select all, then press Delete.

Delete the Temporary Internet Files:
Click Start> Settings> Control Panel> Internet Options> General tab.
Click the Delete Files button, then put a checkmark in the box to Delete all
offline content, and click OK, and OK.

Close all open windows and running apps.
Disable your anti-virus and screensaver.
Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, and End Task on everything except Explorer and Systray.
Start your installation.

Note: If PCR has your ie5setup.exe file, I doubt you will be able to get it back
from him....he hangs onto these things like glue.

--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Pebble

Aug 28, 2004, 3:38:49 AM8/28/04
Many thanks for all the options, I have downloaded the IE5.5 from the link you gave MM,as yet uninstalled. Yes PCR my search for the setup IE5Setup.exe was fruitless, it's not there, no matter how I spell it (I know YOU have mine.) I think that many moons ago I deleted it (on someone's well meant advice) to save hard drive space - when I used to be obsessed with a lean system. I do have a file of 44kb - IESetup.cif -which opens with Easy CD creator, something I never use! Would it be on the original installation disc? My product version of IEXPLORE.EXE is 5.00.3020.2100. I read somewhere reputable that IE6 really doesn't work as good on older systems ie. W98SE, it's more for XP ??
Would I lose my messages when I install, whether to 5 or 6?
I'll give that free AV a go Glee, thanks.

--
* * Pebble in Boulder * *

glee

Aug 28, 2004, 7:27:38 AM8/28/04
Some people had reported problems with the original IE6, but they seem to have been
largely corrected in IE6 SP1. Most remaining problems stem from people installing
it with their anti-virus running, along with screensavers and other apps. You can't
multi-task while doing the install. :-)

Your current version of IE (5.00.xxxx) is woefully out of date and at risk of
compromise from security problems. IE5.5 SP2 is an option, but I generally only
recommend that option for those still using Windows 95. I have IE6 SP1 on a number
of Win98SE machines going back to a Pentium 166, with nary a problem.

What messages are you referring to ("Would I lose my messages...")...do you mean
your mail messages in Outlook Express?

--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Pebble" <Peb...@boulder.rock.com> wrote in message

Pebble

Aug 28, 2004, 11:45:51 AM8/28/04
Hi Glee,
Yep, I meant OE mail messages.
FIND now FINDS !! Something to do with WSH ? I have now downloaded and reinstalled from Microsoft site, but it is still not enabled in windows components of add/remove programmes. Some other little nuances I had with web pages are now also cleared up. WSH can be a bit of a security risk can't it? Does changing the default action in file types from 'open with' to 'edit with' really offer any protection. I guess I'd better go grab that free grisoft AV and make it work for me, as I'm running sans virus protection since dumping Norton!!

--
* * Pebble in Boulder * *
ps When is it time to start>snipping< a thread?

PCR

Aug 28, 2004, 5:24:54 PM8/28/04
Oh, that's right-- BUT I lent your copy of IE5Setup.exe to Glee. Really!

Let me see whether I can find PA Bear's warnings about your OE Store
files, etc. I think this is it, from my "Keepers"...

......Quote.............
For IE, all you can do really is to export and save Favorites and
Cookies
(File>Import and Export).

For OE data:

Backup & Restore OE Data
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/index.htm
http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

OE Files & Settings
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/index.htm

Importing OE Data
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/how.htm#importdbx

OE Freebie Backup

However, reinstalling Win98SE will bring you back to IE/OE 5.0. In
order
for Address Book and your OE6 data to be usable again you'll need to
upgrade
to IE6-SP1 again. To assure a clean install, your anti-virus
application
should be disabled and all other running processes closed before going
Windows Update and when downloading/installing from any MS page. Once
IE6-SP1 is installed you'll need to return to Windows Update for
additional
patches and updates.

Or you can request the Security Updates CD which includes IE6-SP1 and
all
patches/updates through and including those released in Oct-03:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp
--
HTH - Please Reply to This Thread

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

AumHa Forums
http://forum.mvps.org/

Protect Your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect
.......End of quote..........

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcr...@netzero.net

PCR

Aug 28, 2004, 5:38:49 PM8/28/04
Oops, that "Security Update CD" is no longer available.

Also, note he is speaking of one who had IE6, reverted to IE/OE 5.0, &
wanted to recover IE6 files/settings. Still, I think there must be
something in here that applies. Better click those URLs of his, or go
wake the Bear out of his hibernation!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcr...@netzero.net

"PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in message

glee

Aug 28, 2004, 5:54:07 PM8/28/04
You can use a little free utility called noscript.exe, from Symantec, to toggle WSH
on and off. The only time you would need it enabled is to run a VBS script such as
those found on some MVP web sites to make Registry changes. The rest of the time it
can be disabled. I have a shortcut to noscript.exe on my Start menu.

How to disable or remove the Windows Scripting Host:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/win.script.hosting.html

You still need to upgrade your version of IE and OE, as you are at risk using an
older version.

Your OE mail messages should be retained upon upgrading, but it is always a good
idea to back them up anyway. PCR has supploed some links on that subject....here is
a good starting place:
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/index.htm

Now is a good time to start <snipping> ;-)

--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Pebble" <Peb...@boulder.rock.com> wrote in message

Pebble

Aug 29, 2004, 10:55:09 PM8/29/04
Thanks for all advice, (even the sleeping bears channelled through PCR)
Have installed that free AVG Glee, thanks. I still have about 60 MB of norton/symantec related crap on my system in programme folders (common files mainly)Norton VBox utility and assorted windows folders and lots of registry entries, have used the removal tool from Symantec, for all that was worth! Am about to install 5.5SP2 (after obeying all instructions in the guidelines, of course.) and yes, backed up OE and exported faves - here goes!!
--
* * Pebble in Boulder * *

PCR

Aug 30, 2004, 1:55:37 AM8/30/04
You are welcome. Too bad about those Norton leftovers. I would want some
day to make a full system backup, & then try to manually delete them.
(But there are a lot of things I'd like to do some day.)

One thing: If have a "Scandisk.Alt", delete it. That is a Norton
leftover that will prevent an auto-Scandisk from running when necessary.

Looks like you are ready to with IE 5.5. Keep us informed: me, Glee, &
Bear. Oh, & Brian A.