Re: ContextMenu: Format How do I remove this ?

Message has been deleted

Don Phillipson

Oct 4, 2005, 12:16:14 PM10/4/05
"Greg Chi" <GregChi...@BZ.invalid> wrote in message
news:5q65k11skgjugc03f...@4ax.com...

> In My Computer, right-click a drive.
> The context menu has a choice: Format
> How do I remove this (too easily accessed)?

If this makes you nervous, boot to DOS and
rename c:\windows\command\FORMAT.COM
as XFORMAT.COM then boot Windows. Whenever you
use the menu item to format Windows will report
it cannot locate XFORMAT.COM (because it was
renamed in DOS, not Windows.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Ron Badour

Oct 4, 2005, 12:34:52 PM10/4/05
Sometimes entries on the context menu are listed there by using a registry
entry while other times it is done programmatically. I could not find a
registry entry so I therefore conclude it cannot be removed. Unless you
have more than one partition, the format listing should not be dangerous
since Windows will not let you format the C: drive.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"Greg Chi" <GregChi...@BZ.invalid> wrote in message
In My Computer, right-click a drive.
The context menu has a choice: Format
How do I remove this (too easily accessed)?

--
Greg Agent 1.93/32.576 Opera8 OOo 2(19125)
news.readfreenews.net & news.gmane.org Win98se

dadiOH

Oct 4, 2005, 2:47:19 PM10/4/05
Greg Chi wrote:
> In My Computer, right-click a drive.
> The context menu has a choice: Format
> How do I remove this (too easily accessed)?

Start
Settings
Folder options
File types

Skim down the list to "Drive" and select (highlight) it.
Edit
Select "Format" (in "Actions" window)
Click "Remove"
OK your way out

If "Remove" should be greyed out, use ContextEdit
http://www.ramlende.com/utilities.html

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

PCR

Oct 4, 2005, 5:11:37 PM10/4/05
That's odd! I have four entries there, but "Format" is not one of them.
They are-- Backup, Find, MS-DOS Prompt, & Scan for Viruses. I think even
two of those were acquired!

How many "Format" do you see in your Context Menu?

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"dadiOH" <dad...@wherever.com> wrote in message

dadiOH

Oct 4, 2005, 11:23:57 PM10/4/05
PCR wrote:
> That's odd! I have four entries there, but "Format" is not one of
> them. They are-- Backup, Find, MS-DOS Prompt, & Scan for Viruses. I
> think even two of those were acquired!
>
> How many "Format" do you see in your Context Menu?

None. No use to me so I removed it long ago.

Franc Zabkar

Oct 5, 2005, 2:02:51 AM10/5/05
On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 14:47:19 -0400, "dadiOH" <dad...@wherever.com> put
finger to keyboard and composed:

>Greg Chi wrote:
>> In My Computer, right-click a drive.
>> The context menu has a choice: Format
>> How do I remove this (too easily accessed)?
>
>Start
> Settings
> Folder options
> File types
>
>Skim down the list to "Drive" and select (highlight) it.
> Edit
> Select "Format" (in "Actions" window)
> Click "Remove"
> OK your way out
>
>If "Remove" should be greyed out, use ContextEdit
>http://www.ramlende.com/utilities.html

In my case "format" is visible in the context menu but does not show
up in the "actions" window.

-- Franc Zabkar

Rex

Oct 5, 2005, 8:03:17 AM10/5/05
sounds a bit too much like overkill to me;
if you right click your Windows folder, you will also find Delete...
how far do you wanna go and who are you afraid might click the
wrong thing.
there are a million places damage can be done.

..Rex..

"Greg Chi" <GregChi...@BZ.invalid> wrote in message

In My Computer, right-click a drive.
The context menu has a choice: Format
How do I remove this (too easily accessed)?

PCR

Oct 5, 2005, 11:24:39 AM10/5/05
That's odd. Very, very odd! It's unremoveable!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcr...@netzero.net
"dadiOH" <dad...@wherever.com> wrote in message

dadiOH

Oct 5, 2005, 12:09:45 PM10/5/05
PCR wrote:
> That's odd. Very, very odd! It's unremoveable!

Yeah, seems to be. Easily at least. Mine *is* gone but I'd forgotten
that I'd used an app to do so. More hidden than gone. App is named
MMMFree...
http://www.hace.us-inc.com/mmm.shtml

That's for XP - the one for earlier Windows is ContextMenu ControlFreak
http://www.hace.us-inc.com/cmcf.shtml

I got rid of format (and others) not because I feared hitting it
inadvertantly but simpy to clean up the context menu.

Anyway, I put it back pro tem and it sure doesn't appear as an "action"
in the drive file type menu. Not with ContextEdit either. No idea
where in the registry the handler for that stuff is but it must be
*somewhere* :)

dadiOH
_________________

PCR

Oct 5, 2005, 6:37:25 PM10/5/05

| PCR wrote:
| > That's odd. Very, very odd! It's unremoveable!
|
| Yeah, seems to be. Easily at least. Mine *is* gone but I'd forgotten
| that I'd used an app to do so. More hidden than gone. App is named
| MMMFree...
| http://www.hace.us-inc.com/mmm.shtml
|
| That's for XP - the one for earlier Windows is ContextMenu
ControlFreak
| http://www.hace.us-inc.com/cmcf.shtml
|
| I got rid of format (and others) not because I feared hitting it
| inadvertantly but simpy to clean up the context menu.

Uhuh. We both, then, are fearless. I wasn't afraid to let mine be or
risk mussing the system trying to remove it! I just thought it might
disappear from the floppy drive too. That's why!

| Anyway, I put it back pro tem and it sure doesn't appear as an
"action"
| in the drive file type menu. Not with ContextEdit either.

Uhuh. It doesn't appear to be in the same location on the context menu
it would be if it were controlled in Folder Options. It's lower than
those.

| No idea
| where in the registry the handler for that stuff is but it must be
| *somewhere* :)

It could be built into Explorer.exe, although...

C:\>FIND /i "format" C:\Windows\Explorer.exe
---------- C:\Windows\Explorer.exe
C:\>

...doesn't find it, it is found in...

"START button, Find, F/F"
Named.............. Explorer.exe
Containing text... Format

Franc Zabkar

Oct 6, 2005, 2:25:13 AM10/6/05
On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 12:09:45 -0400, "dadiOH" <dad...@wherever.com> put

finger to keyboard and composed:

>the one for earlier Windows is ContextMenu ControlFreak

>http://www.hace.us-inc.com/cmcf.shtml
>
>I got rid of format (and others) not because I feared hitting it
>inadvertantly but simpy to clean up the context menu.
>
>Anyway, I put it back pro tem and it sure doesn't appear as an "action"
>in the drive file type menu. Not with ContextEdit either. No idea
>where in the registry the handler for that stuff is but it must be
>*somewhere* :)

If you want to find out where in the registry a particular feature is
hiding, here is a technique I find useful.

Launch regedit.exe and Export the registry to a file named before.reg,
say. Ensure that you select "All" for the export range.

Then make your changes with your app and apply them (if there is an
apply button) or just quit the app in the normal manner, but don't
reboot.

Now return to regedit and export the modified registry to after.reg.
You may need to View -> Refresh before doing so, but I don't think it
is necessary.

Return to your app and undo your changes unless you intend to retain
them.

Now switch to a DOS prompt and compare the two registries, as follows:

fc before.reg after.reg > diff.txt

edit /r diff.txt

Provided that the changes aren't too radical, FC (File Compare)
identifies the differences and writes them to a file named diff.txt.

Note that the differences usually include MRUlists, but these can be
ignored.

dadiOH

Oct 6, 2005, 6:38:25 AM10/6/05
Franc Zabkar wrote:

> If you want to find out where in the registry a particular feature is
> hiding, here is a technique I find useful.

<snip>

Good tip, many thanks.

Ron Badour

Oct 6, 2005, 10:40:49 AM10/6/05
Regview is a good registry program that I use to track changes:
http://www.regview.com/regview/

--
Regards

"Franc Zabkar" <fza...@iinternode.on.net> wrote in message