Google Earth

Franc Zabkar

Dec 28, 2007, 8:09:11 PM12/28/07
Has anyone managed to access Google Earth from a Win98SE box?

- Franc Zabkar

glee

Dec 28, 2007, 11:00:55 PM12/28/07
"Franc Zabkar" <fza...@iinternode.on.net> wrote in message

> Has anyone managed to access Google Earth from a Win98SE box?
>
> - Franc Zabkar

According to Google, it requires at least Win2K or XP.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.net/

Rick Chauvin

Dec 29, 2007, 1:20:33 PM12/29/07
> Has anyone managed to access Google Earth from a Win98SE box?

Well yes actually, and we had played with a solution about six months
ago - realize though it's not perfect, but it does work somewhat.
It's important to note the last previous version you can get to work in any
type of acceptable manner on W98SE was version 4.0.2416 - in doing so it
had some limitations, and required a non-standard installation at that.

You can read about some of it's evolution at the other forum where we had
worked on it, and in my last post there I had uploaded this version
4.0.2416 and then posted a link to get it - which I see is even still
active today.
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=96499&view=findpost&p=677333

I just fired her up on W98SE now and it still works, but some type of
disclaimer would be for me to say in using this on W98SE would be really
only for those who have a tech ability and Full Control over their computer
setups. In all cases GE works best on W2K/WXP though.

While using it back then I also took the time to make my own GE fly tour
(which is now saved Locally to draw upon without going online to download
targets again which can slow the tour down considerably) and so now when I
want to run it for family/friends to see their house and where they live
via my own handmade flyby - I just start GE and run my saved tour.. besides
doing that though, I haven't used it since.

Rick

Franc Zabkar

Dec 29, 2007, 7:01:10 PM12/29/07
On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 13:20:33 -0500, "Rick Chauvin"
<jus...@nospamz.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>"Franc Zabkar" <fza...@iinternode.on.net> wrote in message
>> Has anyone managed to access Google Earth from a Win98SE box?
>
>Well yes actually, and we had played with a solution about six months
>ago - realize though it's not perfect, but it does work somewhat.
>It's important to note the last previous version you can get to work in any
>type of acceptable manner on W98SE was version 4.0.2416 - in doing so it
>had some limitations, and required a non-standard installation at that.
>
>You can read about some of it's evolution at the other forum where we had
>worked on it, and in my last post there I had uploaded this version
>4.0.2416 and then posted a link to get it - which I see is even still
>active today.

>http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=96499&view=findpost&p=677333

Thanks, I tried it, but I got the following useless error message
during the splash screen:

"Google Earth encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry
for the inconvenience. Would you like to send an error report about
this problem to Google?"

[No, I'd like *you*, the programmer, to first tell *me*, the user,
what's wrong.]

Afterwards this error box pops up (and can't be closed):

GOOGLEEARTH caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 0167:bff9db61.

Google Earth generates a .dmp file, but I don't know what to make of
it. :-(

mm

Dec 29, 2007, 9:42:06 PM12/29/07
<jus...@nospamz.com> wrote:

>"Franc Zabkar" <fza...@iinternode.on.net> wrote in message
>> Has anyone managed to access Google Earth from a Win98SE box?
>
>Well yes actually, and we had played with a solution about six months
>ago - realize though it's not perfect, but it does work somewhat.
>It's important to note the last previous version you can get to work in any
>type of acceptable manner on W98SE was version 4.0.2416 - in doing so it
>had some limitations, and required a non-standard installation at that.

I read the rest of your post, and of course haven't tried it yet, but
it sounds like great information. I will try it as soon as I can.

I have 98SE on my home computer and ME on my laptop. Would Google
Earth, by any chance, work a little better with windowsME than 98SE?

Thanks.

>You can read about some of it's evolution at the other forum where we had
>worked on it, and in my last post there I had uploaded this version
>4.0.2416 and then posted a link to get it - which I see is even still
>active today.
>http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=96499&view=findpost&p=677333
>
>I just fired her up on W98SE now and it still works, but some type of
>disclaimer would be for me to say in using this on W98SE would be really
>only for those who have a tech ability and Full Control over their computer
>setups. In all cases GE works best on W2K/WXP though.
>
>While using it back then I also took the time to make my own GE fly tour
>(which is now saved Locally to draw upon without going online to download
>targets again which can slow the tour down considerably) and so now when I
>want to run it for family/friends to see their house and where they live
>via my own handmade flyby - I just start GE and run my saved tour.. besides
>doing that though, I haven't used it since.
>
>Rick
>

>> - Franc Zabkar
>> --
>> Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

Rick Chauvin

Dec 30, 2007, 12:35:24 PM12/30/07

"Franc Zabkar" <fza...@iinternode.on.net> wrote in message

[....]

> Thanks, I tried it, but I got the following useless error message
> during the splash screen:
>
> "Google Earth encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry
> for the inconvenience. Would you like to send an error report about
> this problem to Google?"

[...]

> Afterwards this error box pops up (and can't be closed):
>
> GOOGLEEARTH caused an invalid page fault in
> module KERNEL32.DLL at 0167:bff9db61.
>
> Google Earth generates a .dmp file, but I don't know what to make of
> it. :-(

Hi Franc,

Just manually remove it from your computer then.

Maybe it's because you use Opera and/or some other thing you've done
different like using that JS routine to disable flash and embedded
multimedia. I do know that on a Stock MS W98SE install it will work
okay (while realizing the limitations as noted in the other forum)
My plate if full and I don't have time to trouble shoot this out further
for you, and I've always said it's better to use it on W2K/WXP.

All the best,
Rick

Rick Chauvin

Dec 30, 2007, 12:38:06 PM12/30/07

"mm" <NOPSAM...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

> I read the rest of your post, and of course haven't tried it yet, but
> it sounds like great information. I will try it as soon as I can.
>
> I have 98SE on my home computer and ME on my laptop. Would Google
> Earth, by any chance, work a little better with windowsME than 98SE?

I don't know actually and never tried it on ME, but I do know it does work
with SE (albeit with the limitations as outlined in the other forum)
Again though, it's much better to be able to use GE with all aspects
working fully on W2K/WXP. Making it somewhat work on W98SE was/is just
a novelty and not meant for full function use, nevertheless it does work as
proven and outlined over there.

Good Luck,

Rick

Franc Zabkar

Dec 31, 2007, 8:58:22 PM12/31/07
On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 12:35:24 -0500, "Rick Chauvin"

<jus...@nospamz.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:

I don't think it's a browser issue because the error occurs early on.
Anyway, I'm disinclined to search for the real cause because I can get
most of what I want via Google Maps.

Currently I have a 50% success rate with new apps - they either don't
work at all, or they may work on one W98 machine but not on another,
or they may need some unspecified module or codec, etc, etc. It's
getting to be a real PITA.

On the plus side, I just bought a new Brother HL2040 laser printer
with parallel and USB interfaces (AU$88) which installed flawlessly on
an old 486/Win95 box. Now that's how things should be done.

mm

Feb 23, 2008, 5:38:33 PM2/23/08

Sorry to take so long to get back to you all. I tried plain old
Google Maps, and though I've tried it before just to see what it does,
it was great here, in that I could find the streets I was driving on
outside the US. Very impressive.

The big trouble is that the google maps screen is iirc only 1/4 the
size of the google earth screen. The info is there but it's not so
easy to see.

>Currently I have a 50% success rate with new apps - they either don't
>work at all, or they may work on one W98 machine but not on another,
>or they may need some unspecified module or codec, etc, etc. It's
>getting to be a real PITA.
>
>On the plus side, I just bought a new Brother HL2040 laser printer
>with parallel and USB interfaces (AU$88) which installed flawlessly on
>an old 486/Win95 box. Now that's how things should be done.
>
>- Franc Zabkar

Rick Chauvin

Feb 23, 2008, 9:47:13 PM2/23/08

"mm" <NOPSAM...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message