Turntable play?

Will

May 15, 2003, 9:25:17 PM5/15/03
Is it possible to play my old Technics turntable through
my computer? If so, please direct me how. Thanks

glee

May 15, 2003, 11:02:23 PM5/15/03
You must connect you turntable to your stereo amplifier, then run a line from an "Auxiliary Out" on the amp to the "Line In" on the computer sound card.

...glen
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems

Bill in CO

May 15, 2003, 11:08:34 PM5/15/03
I believe you will need to buy a phono preamp (for the low voltage output of
your phono cartridge), and hook the output of the preamp to the line in of your
sound card.

Bill in CO

May 15, 2003, 11:11:41 PM5/15/03
Probably needs a cartridge preamp too, Glen. A magnetic cartridge only puts
out a few mv, which is way too low for the line input.

glee

May 15, 2003, 11:52:13 PM5/15/03
Why would he need a cartridge pre-amp if he uses a stereo amplifier between the turntable and the sound card? That is the normal setup for a turntable to play through speakers....through a stereo amp. Same thing would apply here, but using an Aux Out to the sound card, instead of to stereo speakers.

...glen
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems

Bill in CO

May 16, 2003, 1:42:40 AM5/16/03
He wouldn't. (I didn't know he was going to do that). I thought he was going
to connect the turntable directly to the computer. Sure, if he's got a stereo
amp (with a phono input) in the link, no preamp is needed! (As far as I
know, a lot of amps these days have dropped the phono input).

glee

May 16, 2003, 6:51:24 AM5/16/03
He didn't say he was going to do that....it is what I suggested in my original reply (scroll to it below), which is what you responded to. :-)

...glen

Bill in CO

May 16, 2003, 12:19:27 PM5/16/03
OK, sorry for the confusion. I wonder which way he really is going to do it?
For me it wouldn't be too practical, as my stereo system is in the other room!
Unless he's got some REALLY long cables! :-)

Allen RENY

May 16, 2003, 1:10:23 PM5/16/03
"Will" <wi...@cdsnet.net> wrote in message news:06b101c31b4a$026f3c00$a301...@phx.gbl...
> Is it possible to play my old Technics turntable through
> my computer? If so, please direct me how. Thanks

===============================

You may find answers to your questions here:
http://www.a-reny.com/iexplorer/restauration.html

It's a step by step method used to transfer Lps or cassettes or tapes
to your computer in order to burn them on CDR.

You will also find there, many links to similar web pages and links to
various software packages (audio editors) that specialize in these sort of things.

--
Allen Reny.
http://www.a-reny.com

Roger Fink

May 16, 2003, 10:01:00 PM5/16/03
You can buy a new "RCA" brand dedicated phono preamp on ebay for $25 which
is about the size of a Walkman, and likely avoid the stereo system entirely.