Error copying file or folder

Sean Hays

Aug 19, 2004, 7:42:36 PM8/19/04
My Win 98 laptop recently failed and I had the entire
harddrive backed up onto two DVDs by a local technician
with the hardware capability to do so. Now, I am trying
to copy files and folders from the DVDs to a Windows
laptop, and many of them are not transferring.

The cause SEEMS to be due to the length of the file name.
Since I did not due the backup, I do not know what
settings were used (i.e. ISO), but I was told that they
used standard ISO with Joliet enabled to maintain the
original directory/folder/file name length.

I am able to transfer the files to the old Windows 98
laptop (barely) and open them there, but I am not able to
transfer them to the Windows XP laptop.

Is there anyone out there with some ideas?

I can be reached at micros...@seanhays.com.

By the way... the full error reads:

"Cannot copy <file name>: Cannot read from the source
file or disk"

I also get:

"Cannot copy <file name>: Data error (cyclic redundancy
check)."

Thanks!!!!

micros...@seanhays.com

PA Bear

Aug 19, 2004, 9:52:26 PM8/19/04
[Irrelevant crossposting eliminated (Win2K?) ]

You may need to Copy the backed up files to the hard-drive of the WinXP
laptop and remove the Read Only attribute they will have by default before
you can associate them with WinXP.

Also note that if WinXP is using NTSF formatting you may have additional
problems with Win98's FAT32 formatted files.

Once you have the data back in Win98, consider using...

WinXP's FAST Wizard (by MVP Gary Woodruff)
(Please read the caveats about Outlook Express)
http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

[Tell Wilma & Grace I said hello! <w>]
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

Are You Ready for WinXP SP2?

WinXP SP2 Release Notes
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;835935

AumHa Forums
http://forum.aumha.org

ppoatt

Aug 20, 2004, 12:43:20 PM8/20/04
By the errors you have posted. And what I have
experienced with those error messages. Is that the CDs may
have not been closed to be read by other drives.
As much as I dislike pushing Nero Burn. It does have a
way to read unclosed CDs burned by another program and
copy them to other media.
A program I will promote is "FreshUI' from PCmesh.
I use it instead of TweakUI. It has an option to add "Move
to..." and "Copy to..." to your right click menu.
With these if you can see the file? You can move or copy
that file to just about anywhere. Without the *long file
name* error from windows.