Good Windows and Registry cleaner for NON-expert?

Sam

Mar 17, 2002, 8:54:01 PM3/17/02
Can anyone recommend a Good Windows and Registry cleaner for NON-expert? I
would want something that is semi-automatic and not requiring a lot of user
input and knowledge. I'm not a novice, but I'm not an expert either.

Sam

Bill in Colorado

Mar 17, 2002, 9:30:15 PM3/17/02
Unless you are really into it, it is best not to mess with the Registry.
Automatic registry cleaner programs can reek havoc on your system. My
advice (having been in there) is to leave it be until you know what you
are doing.

"Sam" <sam_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
: Can anyone recommend a Good Windows and Registry cleaner for

:
:

George

Mar 17, 2002, 9:45:29 PM3/17/02
For me the best is Norton utilities. They have the WinDoctor that cleans
everything left in windows and no more needed automatically, and they have
the best registry editor, with a registry tracker, that take a snapshot with
all changes made in registry, so if something go wrong you can just use the
undo button. But it's not free, and take some system resources.
A very good cleaner you can find here, but it's fully automatic.
http://www.pcmedixwebs.com/regclean.htm
Another good one semi-automatic, who also removes links that left behind in
ADD/REMOVE program window or in start up menu is Registry-Cleaner from
G-LOCK Software. you can find it here:
http://www.glocksoft.com/aatools_registry_cleaner.htm (not free either)
And here a good one, not with such many options as previous one by G-LOCK,
but this one is free. You can get it here:
http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/regcleaner.shtml
Hope these links help you.
Good luck
George
Ο "Sam" <sam_...@yahoo.com> έγραψε στο μήνυμα

Steve Kellogg

Mar 17, 2002, 11:28:05 PM3/17/02
I offer the following until you get better advice from someone who knows:

In my experience with Win9x, the best solution has been to do periodic
reformat and reinstallation. The registry is going to get clogged, and I
have yet to find a tool that will clean it definitively. After 12 to 18
months you're going to experience a drop in performance. Tech support
people for companies ranging from Gateway to Dell to Sony will recommend
that you remove items from your startup folder or through msconfig, but that
means only asking your computer to do less, not restoring its original
functionality. With everything from Regclean to Norton, nothing restores
the system like a clean installation. I know that sounds like a real drag,
but you could use something like Syamntec's "Ghost" to make an image of your
drive when you've got it set up the way you want it, then use that image to
restore it. This is convenient especially if you're drive is partitioned
with OS and applications on one partion and data files on another. You can
use a program like "Ghost" to make an image at any time you've got your OS
and application partition the way you like it, and then restore it nearly
automatically.

Steve

George

Mar 17, 2002, 11:41:32 PM3/17/02
Well, last time I made a format and clean install was at April of 1999.
Since then I still working with windows, have too many program install, but
my registry is in a good shape. Ofcource not as been after a clean install,
but who have the time to install and configure again 30GB of programs. And I
have to admit, Norton utilities helped me allot.. Especially registry
tracker. I can tell it worth the resource it need for my computer.
George
Ο "Steve Kellogg" <steve@seabury> έγραψε στο μήνυμα

Bob Davis

Mar 18, 2002, 1:01:53 AM3/18/02
I use EasyCleaner v1.7 (www.voodoofiles.com/708), Norton Windoctor, and
Regcleaner (www.jv16.org).

Box134

Mar 19, 2002, 1:00:28 PM3/19/02
As far as I'm concerned Regcleaner is the gold standard in registry
cleaners.

http://www.jv16.org/

When you remove entries they can be backed up. If you should have problems
you can restore the deleted entries. In the years I've used Regcleaner I've
never had that problem. It also has a number of other useful functions.

Easycleaner is also good.

Don Phillipson

Mar 18, 2002, 8:30:42 PM3/18/02

"Sam" <sam_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I recommend Fix-It Utilities (OnTrack) which
I have used with confidence for 3 years.
(Unlike Norton, it resembles PCTools in many
ways.)

Fix-It has 2 approaches to Registry
cleaning: a one-shot fully automatic version
(which seems reliable) or manual control (which
presents every problem found and requires input
to alter items the app deems relevant to system
operation.) The one-shot is good if you encounter
problems with a new installation. I use the detailed
checker about once a month.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs (Ottawa, Canada)