Bye, bye V4 WinUP site?

Lee

Sep 17, 2011, 2:22:40 AM9/17/11
It seems while our backs were turned, the famous WinUP site for 98
displays problems such that it no longer works right. It's quickly
trying to load from two sites but does neither finally. Nor does it
do anything else and so this is how it really ends?

Catalog site too. Both gone. Same problem.

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp

Hot-text

Sep 17, 2011, 5:16:42 AM9/17/11

"Lee" <mel...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
is now v6
http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

--
http://hot-text.ath.cx

98 Guy

Sep 17, 2011, 9:30:05 AM9/17/11
Lee wrote:

> It seems while our backs were turned, the famous WinUP site
> for 98 displays problems such that it no longer works right.
> It's quickly trying to load from two sites but does neither
> finally. Nor does it do anything else and so this is how it
> really ends?

I thought that the v4 site directed you to the v6 site for the past few
years (didn't it?).

This non-functionality seemed to have started no later than late August
and possibly the beginning of August.

You can tidy things up by setting the "NoWindowsUpdate" registry setting
to "0":

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

This will remove the Windows Update entry from Start Menu -> Settings
and from the IE Tools menu.

> Catalog site too. Both gone. Same problem.

Software updates can be downloaded from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/search.aspx?q=Windows%2098
If you tried that you fool, you'd see that it loops between 2 URL's.

Plenty of sources available on the net to download all win-98 updates
for a fresh install.

If you have a working machine that has already been to the windowsupdate
site in the past, then you're not going to be affected by this.

philo

Sep 17, 2011, 1:24:52 PM9/17/11
On 09/17/2011 08:30 AM, 98 Guy wrote:
> Lee wrote:
>
>> It seems while our backs were turned, the famous WinUP site
>> for 98 displays problems such that it no longer works right.
>> It's quickly trying to load from two sites but does neither
>> finally. Nor does it do anything else and so this is how it
>> really ends?
>
> I thought that the v4 site directed you to the v6 site for the past few
> years (didn't it?).

I recently worked on a Win98 machine and there was no automatic
re-direct...but with IE6 one can go to the new update site and still get
the existing Win98 updates

thanatoid

Sep 17, 2011, 2:52:38 PM9/17/11
Lee <mel...@my-deja.com> wrote in
oups.com:
Who the fuck cares?

http://www.mdgx.com/spx

DUH.

98 Guy

Sep 17, 2011, 6:40:14 PM9/17/11
philo wrote:

> I recently worked on a Win98 machine and there was no automatic
> re-direct...but with IE6 one can go to the new update site and
> still get the existing Win98 updates

Why don't you try it now and come back and tell us how it worked.

(the rest of the stuff you quoted for no reason - deleted)

philo

Sep 17, 2011, 11:16:26 PM9/17/11
nope

98 Guy

Sep 17, 2011, 11:40:15 PM9/17/11
philo wrote:

> > Why don't you try it now and come back and tell us how it worked.
>
> nope

So now you also know it doesn't work.

philo

Sep 18, 2011, 7:50:34 AM9/18/11
No

the computer I was working on has gone back to it's owner and is not
here any more

98 Guy

Sep 18, 2011, 8:37:48 AM9/18/11
philo wrote:

> > So now you also know it doesn't work.
>
> No
>
> the computer I was working on has gone back to it's owner and is
> not here any more

Why do you need someone else's computer to run windows 98?

You must have a computer with win-98, otherwise what would be your
interest in this newsgroup?

philo

Sep 18, 2011, 1:47:42 PM9/18/11
I have some win98 machines but they are either in the attic
or on a shelf in my work room.

I no longer use win98 on a daily basis...
but as an antique collector I find old computers and old operating
systems to be of interest.

danielhu...@gmail.com

Oct 1, 2014, 8:41:29 PM10/1/14
try the wayback machine on an administrator

98 Guy

Oct 1, 2014, 9:55:31 PM10/1/14
danielhu...@gmail.com wrote:

> try the wayback machine on an administrator

How about you try to get a clue, you moronic google-giggler.

Is everyone in Nyack NY as dumb as you are - posting replies to
3-year-old posts. ?

Auric__

Oct 2, 2014, 2:51:39 AM10/2/14
He's a Google Groupie. Modern day AOL-ers.

--
It's not magic, it is engineering.