How do I get vertical scrollbars in command.com dos prompt window?

Ken

Jan 8, 2004, 4:49:55 AM1/8/04
The DOS command prompt window (command.com) on my Win 98SE
doesn't let me scroll up and down to review past output.
Having grown up with Unix command windows, this is a real
pain - especially when running FTP, where you can't even
pipe a command to "more" to pause output one screen at a
time.

When I got into NT, I could make its command windows
scrollable by setting a buffer property. But maybe that
was only cmd.exe, not command.com. Now I have this Win
98SE box at home and neither I nor the consultant I bought
it from can figure out how to get vertical scrolling.

I've wrestled with the Properties dialog of the command
window and got horizontal scrollbars for long lines, but
other than that all I seem to be able to do is change the
size of the command window and font.

I tried RTFM in the Microsoft Web site and also found the
Win 98 reference at cma.zdnet.com/book/win98prfref, and
all updates have been installed from the update site, but
no help getting scrolling to happen.

Is this just the way it is? Is there another .DLL or
command.com version I can get that works better?

Thanks for any help!

Richard G. Harper

Jan 8, 2004, 6:35:14 AM1/8/04
That's just the way it is.

--
Richard G. Harper (rgha...@email.com) MVP Win9x
* Please post all messages and replies in the newsgroup so that

"Ken" <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Retired

Jan 8, 2004, 8:17:37 AM1/8/04
Ken posted the following to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion:

> The DOS command prompt window (command.com) on my Win 98SE
> doesn't let me scroll up and down to review past output.
> Having grown up with Unix command windows, this is a real
> pain - especially when running FTP, where you can't even
> pipe a command to "more" to pause output one screen at a
> time.

I have heard of an old utility called "scrollit". A google search
on "scrollit dos" returned 317 hits.

HTH
--
Sired, squired, hired, RETIRED.

Don Phillipson

Jan 8, 2004, 8:19:19 AM1/8/04
"Ken" <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> The DOS command prompt window (command.com) on my Win 98SE

> doesn't let me scroll up and down to review past output.
> Having grown up with Unix command windows, this is a real
> pain - especially when running FTP, where you can't even

You have to load a DOS TSR utility to get this.
(Was it DOSKEY?)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs (Ottawa, Canada)

Sandgroper

Jan 8, 2004, 8:55:44 AM1/8/04

"Ken" <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The DOS command prompt window (command.com) on my Win 98SE
> doesn't let me scroll up and down to review past output.
> Having grown up with Unix command windows, this is a real
> pain - especially when running FTP, where you can't even
> pipe a command to "more" to pause output one screen at a
> time.
>
> When I got into NT, I could make its command windows
> scrollable by setting a buffer property. But maybe that
> was only cmd.exe, not command.com. Now I have this Win
> 98SE box at home and neither I nor the consultant I bought
> it from can figure out how to get vertical scrolling.
>
> I've wrestled with the Properties dialog of the command
> window and got horizontal scrollbars for long lines, but
> other than that all I seem to be able to do is change the
> size of the command window and font.

Only Win NT / Win 2000 has the vertical scroll bars in a DOS window ,
Win95/98 doesn't so you will have to live with it or find a utility that
will create the scroll bars.

--
Sandgroper
----------------------------------

Sandgroper

Jan 8, 2004, 9:00:18 AM1/8/04

"Don Phillipson" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Ken" <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> You have to load a DOS TSR utility to get this.
> (Was it DOSKEY?)

DosKey is a TSR that retains the list of all recent commands , you use the
Up/ Down Arrow Keys to review the list and then press enter to execute the
command.

Ivan Bútora

Jan 8, 2004, 9:28:06 AM1/8/04
scrollit works great for me:
http://www.nfbnet.org/files/screen/SCRLIT18.ZIP

Brian A.

Jan 8, 2004, 11:50:54 AM1/8/04
Other than the third party program/s suggested. If you want to see one page at a
time, use the /p switch. If you want it wide, use the /w switch.
ex: dir c:\ /P /W

Pressing enter will then take it a page at a time, however you can not go in reverse.

--
Brian A.

Jack of all trades, Master of none. One can never truly be a master as there is
always more to learn.
All files scanned and verified to be virus free.

Ken

Jan 9, 2004, 6:51:01 AM1/9/04
Many thanks, everyone* for your replies. I'll check out
scrollit for sure! I had found DOSKEY in the command
reference I cited, and was delighted that it gives me more
than "last command" history. As a command-line kind of
guy, I'd come to use history so often on the job in Unix,
Linux, NT, and W2K. But all the buffer settings in DOSKEY
do nothing for scrolling. It's funny, the command.com
window is capable of showing vertical scroll bars; they
just don't know how to grow bigger than 1/4".

* Richard, Steve, Brian, Retired, Ivan, and Don

Richard G. Harper