Remote Debug help? MVP?... Jason?

Tom Gigear

Jul 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/7/00
I and several others (see microsoft.communities.pocketpc.developers) have
been trying to resolve an issue with remote debugging in eVC++ on Win98SE
with no success. Everything I read indicates that this should be possible.
It does work with eVB on Win98SE but those of us trying to do it in eVC are
all getting the same error message:

"Platform Manager failed to queue CEMON pkg for download.
<919E8310 11D24C05 600039BD 94689A08>"

I have no problems with connecting. The automatic downloads to the device
after building all work ok. The error message occurs right after it
successfully connects to the device. It seems like this could be something
as simple as a missing registry entry. (Maybe because the emulation install
is skipped?) Could you look into this or ask microsoft to check into this
please? Its annoying to not be able to use a debugger.

I almost bought Win2K last night, but I decided I should not have to spend
$285 and create a dual boot setup (I have apps that won't run on Win2k) to
do something that is supposed to work on win98SE. I know I'll need Win2K to
run the emulator and that it is faster than remote debugging but it seems
like it has a lot of problems and limitations and in many cases behaves
differently than the real device, so I would probably rather do remote
debugging on the real device anyway. (Something I read in one of the guides
suggested that all final debugging be done remotely on the real device
because of the emulators limitations anyway.)

If you could look into this or let microsoft know that several of us are
having a problem, it would be appreciated. If there is a way I can talk to
microsoft about this without having to pay for support, let me know and I
will contact them.

Thanks
Tom Gigear

Andrew Briscoe

Jul 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/17/00
I would not advise jumping in and purchasing Win2k in an
effort to overcome your remote debugging issue. I have
installed eVC++ on win2k and am trying to get remote
debugging to work without success so far (suggestions are
welcome). I do not want to start working with eVC++ until
I can remote debug so I have built one of the examples
(etcha) which downloads and executes fine but the remote
debugging does not want to fire up as it fails to create
streams or something (cannot recall at this moment). I have
got to the point where by reading the on-line help I am
starting to feel that remote debugging is only possible with
special versions (builds) of WinCE which you need some
sort of a development rig/lash-up to use. Could this be the
case?

Andrew.

"Tom Gigear" <tgigea...@valisys.com> wrote in message

Tom Gigear

Jul 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/17/00
I did go out and purchase Win2000 this weekend. So far I'm pleased with
everything. The remote debugging works great! I didn't have to do anything
special to make it work. However, I did do a complete install of the
embedded visual tools to make sure nothing important would be left out.

Tom Gigear

Andrew Briscoe wrote in message <39730f1d@breen>...

>I would not advise jumping in and purchasing Win2k in an
>effort to overcome your remote debugging issue. I have
>installed eVC++ on win2k and am trying to get remote
>debugging to work without success so far (suggestions are

>welcome). <snip> I have

Andrew Briscoe

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00
Congratulations!

I also did a complete install including all three SDKs. I guess the next
step is a
complete re-install to see if that makes a difference.

What transport are you using for the platform manager connection? Do you use
serial connection or Network?

Andrew.

"Tom Gigear" <tgigea...@valisys.com> wrote in message

Tom Gigear

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00
Andrew,

I'm using a serial connection. I'm also using the default transport... I
didn't change the setting, but I'm not sure what it used as default. I also
installed eVB even though I don't intend to use it just in case some
registry entry got set during that install. When I was having problems with
Win98SE it was saying that it couldn't queue a CEMON package and it never
downloaded cemon.exe to my device. Now it checks to see that cemon.exe is
up to date every time I start debugging. Good luck, I hope you get yours
working!

Tom

ho...@sysab.de

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00
Hi Tom,
I was having the same difficulties with the CE platform manager:
Starting the debugger in eVC (Win98SE) always left me with the well-
known "could not queue CEMON pkg" etc.

I certainly read all your postings to that problem - still hoping
someone would come up with a solution despite of installing W2K (hope
you enjoy it, too).

Now I found it out myself:
The platform manager need his packages to be registered properly on the
host. But the eMbedded Tools setup didn't register the CEMON package!
At least not on my machine (German Win98SE, full eMbedded Toolkit, only
PocketPC SDK). I guess the component ce98pro.dll, which should do this
during the setup, just doesn't work properly (you can find a entry for
it in one of the setup text files on CD1
saying "ce98pro.dll,RegisterCemonPackage").

Ok, so how can you register the package manually? I took the string
from the error message (looks like a GUID...), mixed and stirred it a
bit, had a close look into ce98pro.dll, and put a few new keys to the
host registry. The CEMON package ID is {919E8310-4C05-11D2-BD39-
0060089A6894}. And surprise surprise... eVC started to copy some DLLs
to the device, started the program and stopped at my first breakpoint -
BINGO!

Here is the .reg file with what I did (clip & save as cemon.reg, and
import it to your registry, if you have the same problem)
Plase note: The string "Windows CE Remote Debugger" is my guess, but
doesn't seem to matter. You will have to insert the actual path to
cemon.exe where I have put "C:\Programme\...", e.g. on an English Win98
something like "C:\Program Files\...". For other SDKs than wce300 or
other target devices try to find the binary strings in another package
registry entry and simply copy it from there.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Tools\Platform
Manager\{F384D888-F9AA-11D1-BB9E-00A0C9C9CCEE}\{6D5C6210-E14B-11D2-B72A-
0000F8026CEE}\{2A4F783A-014E-11D2-BBA0-00A0C9C9CCEE}\{919E8310-4C05-
11D2-BD39-0060089A6894}]
@="Windows CE Remote Debugger"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Tools\Platform
Manager\{F384D888-F9AA-11D1-BB9E-00A0C9C9CCEE}\{6D5C6210-E14B-11D2-B72A-
0000F8026CEE}\{2A4F783A-014E-11D2-BBA0-00A0C9C9CCEE}\{919E8310-4C05-
11D2-BD39-0060089A6894}\CEMON.EXE]
"C:\\Programme\\Microsoft eMbedded Tools\\EVC\\wce300\\target\\X86
\\CEMON.EXE"=hex:01,\

00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,10,00,00,03,00,00,00,00,
00,\
00,00,01,00,00,00
"C:\\Programme\\Microsoft eMbedded Tools\\EVC\\wce300\\target\\SH3
\\CEMON.EXE"=hex:02,\
00,00,00,04,00,00,00,13,27,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,10,00,00,03,00,00,00,00,
00,\
00,00,01,00,00,00
"C:\\Programme\\Microsoft eMbedded Tools\\EVC\\wce300
\\target\\MIPS\\CEMON.EXE"=hex:02,\

00,00,00,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,10,00,00,03,00,00,00,00,
00,\
00,00,07,00,00,00
"C:\\Programme\\Microsoft eMbedded Tools\\EVC\\wce300
\\target\\ARM\\CEMON.EXE"=hex:02,\

00,00,00,05,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,10,00,00,03,00,00,00,00,
00,\
00,00,01,00,00,00

That did it for me. I hope it can be useful to someone else.

Stephan Honal
ho...@sysab.de

In article <8l4tb7$sjc$1...@news.mainstreet.net>,

"Tom Gigear" <tgigea...@valisys.com> wrote:
> When I was having problems with
> Win98SE it was saying that it couldn't queue a CEMON package and it
never
> downloaded cemon.exe to my device. Now it checks to see that
cemon.exe is
> up to date every time I start debugging. Good luck, I hope you get
yours
> working!
>
> Tom

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/