Undocumented mysterious window message 0xAE

Sean W.

Mar 10, 2005, 5:49:03 PM3/10/05
I have a very simple question: Does anybody know what this window message is
and does?

Windows (tested on XP Pro SP2) is sending this message to my app at
semi-random intervals, and the message gets passed to DefWindowProc.
DefWindowProc then apparently paints the nonclient area of the window using
the default nonclient-area-drawing code --- which is exactly the wrong
behavior, because I've overriden *all* of the documented WM_NC* messages in
my window procedure. The result is that at (nearly) unpredictable intervals,
the window suddenly gets ugly gray lines all over it.

In my code, I've simply added a line to test for the 0xAE message and just
return 0. This seems to work fine, but I wonder if it has other side-effects.

So does anybody know anything at all about what this message is? I'd really
appreciate knowing so I can determine what to do next.

--
Do you suppose if I put a signature here anyone would bother to read it?
No? I didn't think so either.

Jonathan Wilson

Mar 14, 2005, 9:41:28 AM3/14/05
acording to the large table of all the windows messages at BFA4AD60 in the
checked build of XPSP2 win32k.sys, message 0xAE is WM_NCUAHDRAWCAPTION and
message 0xAF is WM_NCUAHDRAWFRAME.