MAPI provider support for Delegation

NightClubRaider

Jul 7, 2005, 7:07:02 PM7/7/05
We have a working MAPI provider that implements the message store provider
functions. It supports the private (default) message store for the mailing
user as well as public message stores.

The problem is to let a MAPI client (Outlook) access and manage other users
folders (in the non-default private message stores), including calendar,
tasks, etc.

What are the properties and/or APIs our MAPI provider is required to
implement in order to let Outlook perform these tasks? What exactly is
required to make the "delegation" functionality of Outlook work with our MAPI
provider?

Dmitry Streblechenko

Jul 7, 2005, 8:00:29 PM7/7/05
Why can't you make your store provider configurable the way Exchnage
provider does it? Specify extra mailboxes in the service options, then just
expose then as separate message stores?

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
http://www.dimastr.com/
OutlookSpy - Outlook, CDO
and MAPI Developer Tool

"NightClubRaider" <NightCl...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:33A3F767-F55F-4787...@microsoft.com...

Dan Christensen

Jul 8, 2005, 5:36:21 PM7/8/05
Dmitry Streblechenko wrote:
> Why can't you make your store provider configurable the way Exchnage
> provider does it? Specify extra mailboxes in the service options, then just
> expose then as separate message stores?
>
> Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
> http://www.dimastr.com/
> OutlookSpy - Outlook, CDO
> and MAPI Developer Tool

This is precisely what we have done in our message store implementation.
You can add additional users on our system into your profile and
access their mailboxes as well. Unfortunately there are certain pieces
of the Outlook UI tied to the delegates functionality that we are unable
to "tap" into using this mechanism. This includes "File | Open | Other
User's Folder" and "Open a shared calendar..." from the calendar folder.
The "Open Other User's Folder" menu item is grayed out when Exchange is
not the backend and the "Open a shared calendar..." link allows the user
to specify a name but then returns an error. I assumed that Outlook was
just hard-coded to only use these features against an exchange mailbox.
I would love for someone to tell me otherwise :)

Dmitry Streblechenko

Jul 8, 2005, 5:49:44 PM7/8/05
I don't know, it might be checking the value of PR_MDB_PROVIDER to be
pbExchangeProviderPrimaryUserGuid, but is worth checking if supporting
IExchangeManageStore would help.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
http://www.dimastr.com/
OutlookSpy - Outlook, CDO
and MAPI Developer Tool

"Dan Christensen" <daniel_l_c...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

NightClubRaider

Jul 8, 2005, 6:03:01 PM7/8/05
Thank you for your answer.

We already have additional message stores in the profile. The problem is
that Outlook treats these stores as public stores, not private stores
belonging to other users. As a result, Outlook does not use the default
folders (such as Calendar/Tasks/etc) in these stores, meeting requests in
this stores are processed as belonging to the primary (default) message store
and a wrong Calendar folder is used to publish these requests when they are
accepted.

Also, Outlook does not show anything in the File | Open | Other Users Folder
- it looks like something has to be implemented either by our message store
or address book provider.

Henry Gusakovsky

Jul 11, 2005, 11:17:01 AM7/11/05
You need custom address type in your address book provider

1. Some properties in IMsgStore (PR_USER_ENTRYID, PR_MAILBOX_OWNER_ENTRYID,
PR_MAILBOX_OWNER_NAME).

2. Some properties for IMailUser (PR_EMS_AB_HOME_MDB )

3. Implementation of IExchangeManageStore interface.

4. Some registry settings.
See (for Outlook XP)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\SchedulingInformation\SharedCalendarSupport

--
WBR
Henry

NightClubRaider

Jul 12, 2005, 1:07:05 PM7/12/05
==========
Henry,

Thank you much for your assistance.

Do you have any additional information on the
Outlook\SchedulingInformation\SharedCalendarSupport registry entry?

It appears that it lists some CLSIDs for handlers...

Unfortunatly, searching Google and/or MSDN yields zero matches.

Henry Gusakovsky

Jul 14, 2005, 3:46:04 AM7/14/05
See sample from MS Outlook Connector for Lotus server

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\SchedulingInformation\SharedCalendarSupport]
"MSOC"="{75EB2FE9-5096-8644-83B8-7DE522AA4948};{75EB2FE9-5096-8644-83B8-7DE522AA4948}"

"MSOC" it seems that it is service name.
I've tried to use the same guids for my provider with changed service name.
It works.