button press shuts down the PC

Dan

Aug 25, 2006, 3:02:42 PM8/25/06
I hope that someone here helps me because in the standard help groups no one
did.
In my keyboard there most right button press shuts down the PC. This must be
eliminated. I'd like to install some software that modifies that behavior.

Thanks in advance

Dan

Doron Holan [MS]

Aug 26, 2006, 2:55:19 AM8/26/06
read http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q302092. for
ps2 youwill need to write a driver. for usb, you can disable that top level
collection. if you are going to write a driver, use KMDF
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/wdf/KMDF_pkg.mspx

Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. this alias is for
newsgroup purposes only.

"Dan" <d...@john.com> wrote in message

Dan

Aug 26, 2006, 1:25:54 PM8/26/06
Thanks,
I'm really no in the level to cope with such a driver, but I can right a
simple win32 application that hooks this key (with a hook dll) message and
may be do something with it.
Do you think this may work?

Thanks

Dan
"Doron Holan [MS]" <dor...@nospam.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ali

Aug 26, 2006, 4:02:55 AM8/26/06

IMHO the answer is NO! Its something to filter the requests originating
from apps. The filter (a driver that hangs between the I/O stack
passing through) woud e the best solution.

ali

Arkady Frenkel

Aug 26, 2006, 9:39:02 AM8/26/06
So try SetWindowsHook(Ex) for VK_SLEEP , obviously the minus of the method
, that it work only after your app will hook and throw the key
Arkady

"Dan" <d...@john.com> wrote in message

Doron Holan [MS]

Aug 26, 2006, 6:48:02 PM8/26/06
that won't work. while the key press is sent to the raw input thread as a
scan code, it is also reported to the power manager directly as a power
"button" press. this path has no UM filtering in it.

Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. this alias is for
newsgroup purposes only.

Dan

Aug 27, 2006, 10:00:39 AM8/27/06
I came accross some hot-key programs like AutoHotKey which clame to modify
any key.
Would that work?

Thanks

Dan
"Doron Holan [MS]" <dor...@nospam.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Gary Chanson

Aug 27, 2006, 3:09:45 PM8/27/06
No. I was going to offer you my own version of a hot key program until
I noticed what key you wanted to re-program.

--

- Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
- Abolish Public Schools