Re: Reverse Playback Renderer

1 view

The March Hare (MVP)

Jul 12, 2004, 8:37:33 PM7/12/04
On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 09:25:01 -0700, Strizzi wrote:

> Is there a Renderer where i can set the SetRate() (from IMediaSeeking Interface) method to a negative value?

Most decoders cannot support negative playback. This topic came up last
week. Try perusing the archives.

--
1. If there are questions above, please answer them in-line. In any case,
don't top post. (Otherwise, don't expect a followup) See

Strizzi

Jul 13, 2004, 12:11:03 PM7/13/04
> Most decoders cannot support negative playback. This topic came up last
> week. Try perusing the archives.

Sorry, I didnt find any information that fits my needs, because i read the following in the documentatio:

Negative values indicate reverse playback. Most filters do not support negative playback, but instead return an error code

So most filter, but not all!
Does anyone know a renderer that supports reverse playback because I want to play the same clip forward playback and then reverse with DES.

Or did I get something wrong!

The March Hare (MVP)

Jul 13, 2004, 12:25:25 PM7/13/04
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:11:03 -0700, Strizzi wrote:

> Negative values indicate reverse playback. Most filters do not support negative playback, but instead return an error code
>
> So most filter, but not all!
> Does anyone know a renderer that supports reverse playback because I want to play the same clip forward playback and then reverse with DES.

It's not the renderer that is the issue. It is usually the decoder filter
that doesn't support negative playback speeds (think about how a decoder
like MPEG-2 would need to handle this). IIRC, uncompressed avi files will
play backwards. Even in DV video which uses fixed size compressed samples,
negative playback is not supported by the MS Decoder. I am not aware of
any decoders that support negative playback.