Direct3d SLOW!!

rory....@gmail.com

May 3, 2007, 2:51:28 PM5/3/07
I am getting a fps of .333 (1 frame per 3 seconds) at best and .09 (1
frame per 10.5 seconds) at worst with Direct3D mobile when testing on
TMobile MDA PocketPC with WM5.

I tried C++ samples here:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb278112.aspx

And .NET managed samples (much slower).

Is this the sort of performance we can expect? Or am I doing something
wrong?

Crouch@discussions.microsoft.com Don Crouch

May 3, 2007, 5:36:01 PM5/3/07
Performance that bad is probably due to your application using the D3DM
Reference Driver instead of an optimized driver that should have been
provided with your TMobile device.

If the following registry value contains the name of the Reference Driver
(d3dmref.dll), then this is most certainly the problem:
HKLM/System/D3DM/Drivers/LocalHook

If your device isn't configured to use the D3DM Reference Driver as its
system driver, then tell me what the name of the DLL is that is in that
registry value and I'll work with you to figure out what the problem is.

If your device is configured to use the D3DM Reference Driver, then you're
out of luck unless you can get an updated driver from the device
manufacturer. Any device manufacturer should be spanked for shipping this
driver as it was only designed for generating golden images to test drivers
against. MS prohibits it from being shipped on any device.

nushrike

Aug 12, 2008, 12:39:52 AM8/12/08
Previously, Don Couch wrote:
>If your device is configured to use the D3DM >Reference Driver, then you're
>out of luck unless you can get an updated driver from >the device
>manufacturer. Any device manufacturer should be >spanked for shipping this
>driver as it was only designed for generating golden >images to test drivers
>against. MS prohibits it from being shipped on any >device.

What do you mean MS prohibits this?

Don't you really mean MS recommends against it since this "prohibition" hasn't stopped any Windows Mobile licensees, such as HP or HTC (such as that TMobile Wing device), from continuing to ship only reference drivers?

And they're certainly are not getting spanked by Microsoft for doing so.

Richard [Microsoft Direct3D MVP]

Aug 12, 2008, 1:46:58 AM8/12/08

The reference rasterizer is not the same thing as a reference driver.
REFRAST is only provided by Microsoft as part of the DirectX SDK. It
cannot be redistributed by anyone else and I assure you that HP or any
other company are not redistributing the reference rasterizer with any
of their products.

Richard [Microsoft Direct3D MVP]

Aug 12, 2008, 1:51:27 AM8/12/08

(Richard) legaliz...@mail.xmission.com spake the secret code
<OQSkW7D$IHA...@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl> thusly:

>The reference rasterizer is not the same thing as a reference driver.

Never mind; you appear to be talking about some Windows Mobile stuff
and I don't know about any of that stuff. I thought you were talking
about the reference rasterizer.