Winlogon.exe error following Windows 2000 Critical Update

James Holman

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
I upgraded my Windows 98 install to Windows 2000 with no problems. I
executed a Windows Update and marked the "Critical Windows 2000 Update" for
download. The update downloaded, but during the installation portion, I had
a system crash.

Now I can only restart in safe mode! I get this message that says something
like "Trouble starting winlogon.exe. You will have ro restart the computer"
This happens over and over again.

I have attempted to fix my install in the following ways with no success:

1. Boot from CD and attempt repair. Repair completes with no improvement.
2. Boot safe mode with network to attempt to connect to Windows Update and
re-install critical update. Same winlogon.exe error.
3. Boot safe mode with no networking to attempt to connect to Windows
Update and re-install critacal update. Dumb idea. No networking means no
internet.
4. Boot in safe mode with no networking, instert CD and attempt to
"upgrade" again in hopesto restore network settings. Upgrade completes.
Same winlogin.exe error.

I would like to try to load the critical update again, but I can't download
it seperately that I could see.

Does anyone have any ideas on this problem that they could share?

Thanks in advance,

Jim Holman

J. Allen

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00

Go here, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.asp to download directly.
Also, you can boot into safe mode command prompt and extract the
winlogon.exe file and copy it to the correct location. I suspect the file is
ok but it was a botched install from the windows update site. Try the above
link first.
--
SETI@home is a scientific experiment that uses Internet-connected computers
in the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI). You can participate
"James Holman" <jdho...@mindspring.com> wrote in message