Terminal services client hangs at logon

Gary

Jun 4, 2002, 10:54:26 AM6/4/02
We have a Win 2000 network running AD. We have appox 16
2000 domain controllers and member servers. The majority
of the clients are Win 2k Pro. We have Terminal services
set up on all of our domain controllers and member servers
so we can administer them remotely. Just lately, when
trying to log on to one of the member servers using
Terminal services client, the logon will hang just after
entering the password. The first time we re-booted the
server and that fixed the problem for a few days. The
second time it happened we removed Terminal services from
the server and re-installed it. Again, about two days
later hangs, removed and reinstalled again and this time
it hung in about a day. All this time you can log on to
the server from the console with no problem. We have SP2
installed with a lot of pre-SP3 hotfixes. None of the
other servers or Domain controllers have this problem.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Sorry for the long post.

alex_k._angelopoulos_(mvp)

Jun 4, 2002, 2:40:47 PM6/4/02
Gary,

I assume you have checked the event logs and are seeing nothing unusual. You
might want to try doing a couple of tests with Performance monitor. Do a logon
session with Perfmon running to see if you can notice any particular culprits.

Key things initially are memory and CPU utilization. If neither of those
hiccups, it will point towards a services or rights related issue during the
logon.

"Gary" <inm...@yahoo.com> wrote in message