Mail Server Networking Help

Joe

Jun 22, 2005, 11:44:01 AM6/22/05
Hello,

I am in need of BIG help here please.

I have two servers both Server 2003 OS. I am trying to get the second server
on the internal network but have a seperate Public IP.

Current Config: First server is a webserver with mailserver on the same box.
Second server is mail only. they are currently behind a router that is
giving the IP's
192.168.0.5 Web/Mail
192.168.0.6 Mail

I have port forwarded the corrosponding ports to the machines and all works
well.

However I am trying to put the mail server on a different router with a
different public IP and have the mail servers somehow connect internally VIA?

I would need the mailboxes to be a UNC for the use of a back up mailserver
So in the event one IP on a Public DNS is down I can still get the mail.
I have exhausted my knowledge here and very worn out trying to get this to
work.
Any suggestions or maybe a change in my direction here in which I cannot see?

I thought of two nics in both servers and then routintg the servers
together.But for some reason this sounds wrong?

Thank you very much
Joe

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Jun 23, 2005, 11:56:27 AM6/23/05
you may want to keep both servers use the same IP 5 and 6 and then add another NIC for the public IP.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services. Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Joe

Jun 23, 2005, 12:49:10 PM6/23/05
Hello Bob
Thank you for your help this is a big relief.

So let me try to understand this?

keep both servers in their present location behind the 1st router and add a
nic to the mail server and connect it to the other router which will get the
other Public IP.

Is this correct?

Thank you
Joe

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Jun 23, 2005, 4:26:50 PM6/23/05
Yes.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services. Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Joe

Jun 23, 2005, 5:30:02 PM6/23/05
Thank you very much I am so relieved.

Joe

Jun 23, 2005, 11:45:02 PM6/23/05
Hello Bob,
Thank you again for your help.

I have one last question. Everything is working fine.
I can now see all the workgroup in one window. I am experiencing a small
problem.

Everytime I click to open one of the computers in the workgroup it prompts
me for credentials. Can I get rid of this so my servers can share without me
logging them on everytime they reboot or lose connection?

That is all