Need help to configure RAS Client

1 view

Maran

Apr 15, 2003, 11:04:35 AM4/15/03
Hi all,

I have set up a RRAS server. I have not set up any authentication or user
password yet so I can successfully dial in remotely. But I can only access
shared folders on the RRAS server. I cannot access the shared folders on
other PCs on the same network as the RRAS server. What am I doing wrong ?

My network address is 192.168.1.0
My server is 192.168.1.10
I do not have DHCP installed.
I have a router that has built-in DHCP that issues IP addresses.
The RRAS server issues IP of 192.168.1.200 - 210.

Please advise
Maran

Robert L

Apr 15, 2003, 1:39:54 PM4/15/03
use tracert computername command to check where stops. or post route table
here.

--
For more information, go to http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Please don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

"Maran" <ma...@itnow.com.sg> wrote in message

Maran

Apr 15, 2003, 11:11:21 PM4/15/03
Hi Bob,

1. How will doing a traceroute help?
2.How do I locate the route table?

Please advise. Thankx

"Robert L" <nor...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Robert L

Apr 16, 2003, 4:54:44 PM4/16/03
on the server do route print and ipconfig /all. then post the results.

--

> Hi Bob,
>
> The tracert stops at the RAS server. I have attached the routing tables
and
> tracerts.

Maran

Apr 16, 2003, 9:09:40 PM4/16/03
hi bob,
if u refer to my last post, you'll see the attachments...

please advise.

"Robert L" <nor...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Maran

Apr 17, 2003, 5:51:48 AM4/17/03
I actually managed to solve the problem. It was a name resoIution issue. So
I included a LMHOST file on the remote pc end on the dial-up configuration.

Qn:
1. Do I need to run WINS server on the RAS ?
2. Do I need to include the WINS address on the dial-up config. Properties
box on the remote user end ?
3. From what I understand about LMHOST files, is that they are not
dynamically updated, so what happens if the PC on which the resource resides
renews its IP ? Is there a way to work around this ?

Robert L

Bill Grant

Apr 17, 2003, 8:07:55 PM4/17/03
LMHOSTS is based on Netbios names. If you want to use a dynamic name
server for Netbios names (ie a replacement for LMHOSTS) you would use WINS.

HOSTS files and DNS are the corresponding methods for dotted domain
names like fred.mycompany.local