Cannot see the network

Ian

Apr 23, 2003, 7:24:39 AM4/23/03
After setting up VPN client on the Windows NT server in my home with PPTP
installed and clicking Dial button, I can tell that I logged in VPN server
but I cannot see anything on the remote network. How come? Thanks.

Ian

Robert L

Apr 23, 2003, 9:28:50 AM4/23/03
can you ping remote computer by name? also check the WINS and DNS settings.

--
For more information, go to http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

"Ian" <y...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Ian

Apr 23, 2003, 9:45:26 PM4/23/03
Yes, I can ping every server on the remote network by name but I cannot see
them in My Network Neighborhood. Any idea? Thanks.

Ian

"Robert L" <nor...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Robert L

Ian

Apr 24, 2003, 10:40:05 PM4/24/03
Hi Robert,

I am not familiar to browser troubleshoot. Can you tell me how to find out
the problem according to the following info:

C:\cmd>browstat status

Status for domain LOCALDOMAIN on transport \Device\NetBT_NdisWan7
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master browser name is held by: PIII500
Master browser is running build 1381

Status for domain LOCALDOMAIN on transport \Device\NetBT_NTSPPPOE3
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master browser name is held by: PIII500
Master browser is running build 1381

Status for domain LOCALDOMAIN on transport \Device\NetBT_DM9PCI1
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: PIII500
Master browser is running build 1381
1 backup servers retrieved from master PIII500
\\PIII500
There are 1 servers in domain LOCALDOMAIN on transport
\Device\NetBT_DM9PCI1
There are 1 domains in domain LOCALDOMAIN on transport
\Device\NetBT_DM9PCI1

Status for domain LOCALDOMAIN on transport \Device\NetBT_DLKFET2
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: PIII500
Master browser is running build 1381
1 backup servers retrieved from master PIII500
\\PIII500
There are 1 servers in domain LOCALDOMAIN on transport
\Device\NetBT_DLKFET2
There are 1 domains in domain LOCALDOMAIN on transport
\Device\NetBT_DLKFET2

C:\cmd>browstat status REMOTEDOMAIN
Status for domain REMOTEDOMAIN on transport \Device\NetBT_NdisWan7
Browsing is active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus. Using \\SERVER2
Could not connect to registry, error = 5 Unable to determine build of
browser master: 5
Unable to determine server information for browser master: 5
3 backup servers retrieved from master BV32
\\SERVER2
\\SERVER3
\\SERVER1
There are 5 servers in domain REMOTEDOMAIN on transport
\Device\NetBT_NdisWan7
There are 3 domains in domain REMOTEDOMAIN on transport
\Device\NetBT_NdisWan7

Status for domain REMOTEDOMAIN on transport \Device\NetBT_NTSPPPOE3
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.

Status for domain REMOTEDOMAIN on transport \Device\NetBT_DM9PCI1
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.

Status for domain REMOTEDOMAIN on transport \Device\NetBT_DLKFET2
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.

"Robert L" <nor...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Bill Grant

Apr 26, 2003, 9:45:31 PM4/26/03
How the browser software works can be pretty complex. It was designed
for Netbuei in NT, and later modified to work using Netbt (Netbios over
TCP/IP). It depends on LAN broadcasts, so browsing basically only works on a
LAN segment, not across routers or WAN links. And if you run both Netbt and
Netbeui you have two independent browser services running.

With Netbt, if you have a domain set up, the PDC acts as the domain master
browser, and has the ability to merge lists from segment master browsers to
build a domain-wide browse list. This only works if the master browsers can
find each other using the special Netbios names, and this generally means
WINS.

RAS adds another level of complexity. Multihomed machines cause
problems, because the browser service is interface based, not machine based
(as your browstat messages show). A multihomed PDC is a major problem. See
MS KB article 292822 . And dialup clients are a problem, because they are
not really on the LAN, so do not appear in browse lists.

Before you can understand the browstat messages, you need to understand
how the browser service works. There are lots of articles about it in help,
in the KB and at Technet and MSDN. But do you really need to know all this?
Browsing through Network Neighborhood is not great over WANs. And WINS and
the browser service are being replaced by Active Directory and DDNS.