unable to browse all computers on net

1 view

Joel

Feb 23, 2003, 4:38:41 PM2/23/03
I've got a workgroup of win 2k, win xp, and win 98
workstations and one win2k server in the mix. The problem
has to do with browsing. The computers are all able to
ping each other by name, but they do not all see one
another in my network places (network neighborhood). Some
computers see more of their neighbors and some see less.
There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. If I do a
computer search for a particular node, it will find it
even if it doesn't show up in network places.

Everybody has file and print sharing enabled. The network
spans two subnets, but this doesn't seem to be related.
Any ideas?

NIC Student

Feb 23, 2003, 8:27:12 PM2/23/03
Do you have WINS running on the Server? That's easiest solution, make sure
each machine points to the WINS Server for WINS resolution.

--
Scott Baldridge
"NIC Student"

Robert L

Feb 23, 2003, 8:27:42 PM2/23/03
try to stop computer browser service on all w2k/xp computers except the
server.

--
For more information, go to http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Please don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

"Joel" <jwo...@digimarc.com> wrote in message

Joel

Feb 23, 2003, 10:20:42 PM2/23/03
Thanks for the reply Scott. I'm not sure that this is a
WINS related issue. I do have WINS running on the server,
but name resolution does not appear to be a problem
because I can ping computers by name. I think this may be
more of a browsing problem since I am unable to view all
computers on the network.
>.

Joel

Feb 23, 2003, 10:23:48 PM2/23/03
Robert, this sounds like something possible to try. Would
I be losing functionality were I to turn off browsing on
all the other xp/2k workstations? I thought the whole
point of the microsoft browsing was the whole "election"
process. I will give a try. Any other ideas?
>.

Jeff Cochran

Feb 24, 2003, 9:10:46 AM2/24/03
By default, only DC's in the W2K domain will be master browsers, but
disabling the browser service on the workstations will ensure that
elections take place only between DC's. Are you getting errors in
your event log on systems that have browsing issues?

Jeff

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 19:23:48 -0800, "Joel" <jwo...@digimarc.com>

Robert L

Joel

Feb 25, 2003, 9:27:37 AM2/25/03
Thanks again Robert--I will try this when I have the
opportunity and will post a reply.