Timeout accesing network resources

1 view

Nicolas

Feb 28, 2005, 3:41:09 PM2/28/05
Is their a default timeout period the OS waits when accesing a network share?
Can this value be changed?

Thanks,

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Feb 28, 2005, 5:38:18 PM2/28/05

How to change the auto disconnection settings

My win2k keeps losing network connection whit red x and then re-connect after click it

A: you can change autodisconnect time. For example, if you want to setup autodisconnect time to 30 minutes, do net config server /autodisconnect:30.

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services. Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com

I recommend Brinkster for web hosting!

Nicolas

Feb 28, 2005, 5:53:03 PM2/28/05
Thanks for your response but I guess I didn't explain myself right.

My problem is I get a delay after login in when the network share is not
available. I believe it is trying to connect to the shared folders. I think I
have seen something about the OS waiting for 1 min 10 sec or 2 min to contact
the share and then it timesout. This is the time I'm looking to reduce.

Thanks,

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Mar 1, 2005, 8:56:03 AM3/1/05
then that could be DNS or mapping issues. For more and other =
information, go to http://howtonetworking.com.

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services. =
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more =
help.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

How to Setup Windows, Network, Remote Access on =
http://www.HowToNetworking.com
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on =

http://www.ChicagoTech.net

I recommend Brinkster for web hosting!=20

"Nicolas" <Nic...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message =

Thanks for your response but I guess I didn't explain myself right.

My problem is I get a delay after login in when the network share is =
not=20
available. I believe it is trying to connect to the shared folders. I =
think I=20
have seen something about the OS waiting for 1 min 10 sec or 2 min to =
contact=20

"Robert L [MS-MVP]" wrote:

> quoted from http://www.howtonetworking.com/winfaqs.htm
> How to change the auto disconnection settings

>=20
> My win2k keeps losing network connection whit red x and then =
re-connect after click it
>=20
> A: you can change autodisconnect time. For example, if you want to =
setup autodisconnect time to 30 minutes, do net config server =
/autodisconnect:30.

> Is their a default timeout period the OS waits when accesing a =
network share?=20

> Can this value be changed?

>=20
> Thanks,
------=_NextPart_000_0035_01C51E34.1D707890

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>then that could be DNS or mapping =
issues.=20
</FONT>For more and other information, go to <A=20
href=3D"http://howtonetworking.com">http://howtonetworking.com</A>.<BR><B=
R>Don't=20
send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services. Posting =
on MS=20
newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.<BR><BR>Bob =
Lin,=20
MS-MVP, MCSE &amp; CNE<BR>How to Setup Windows, Network, Remote Access =
on <A=20
href=3D"http://www.HowToNetworking.com">http://www.HowToNetworking.com</A=
><BR>Networking,=20
Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on <A=20
href=3D"http://www.ChicagoTech.net">http://www.ChicagoTech.net</A><BR>Thi=
s posting=20
is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.</DIV>
<DIV>
<P><!-- Start Brinkster Referral Link --><A=20
href=3D"http://www.brinkster.com/redirect.aspx?ad=3D9999&amp;rf=3Dmsmvps&=
amp;redirect=3D/hosting/hosting.aspx"=20
target=3D_blank>I recommend Brinkster for web hosting!</A><!-- End =
Brinkster Referral Link --> </P></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
<DIV>"Nicolas" &lt;<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:Nic...@discussions.microsoft.com">Nic...@discussions.mic=
rosoft.com</A>&gt;=20
wrote in message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:AC0C949C-5DF5-4BBB...@microsoft.com">news:AC0=
C949C-5DF5-4BBB-...@microsoft.com</A>...</DIV>Thanks=20
for your response but I guess I didn't explain myself right.<BR><BR>My =
problem=20
is I get a delay after login in when the network share is not =
<BR>available. I=20
believe it is trying to connect to the shared folders. I think I =
<BR>have seen=20
something about the OS waiting for 1 min 10 sec or 2 min to contact =
<BR>the=20
share and then it timesout. This is the time I'm looking to=20
reduce.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>"Robert L [MS-MVP]" wrote:<BR><BR>&gt; =
quoted=20
from <A=20
=
href=3D"http://www.howtonetworking.com/winfaqs.htm">http://www.howtonetwo=
rking.com/winfaqs.htm</A><BR>&gt;=20
How to change the auto disconnection settings<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; My =
win2k keeps=20
losing network connection whit red x and then re-connect after click=20
it<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; A: you can change autodisconnect time. For =
example, if you=20
want to setup autodisconnect time to 30 minutes, do net config server=20
/autodisconnect:30.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Don't send e-mail or reply to me =
except=20
you need consulting services. Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all =
readers=20
and you may get more help.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE =
&amp;=20
CNE<BR>&gt; How to Setup Windows, Network, Remote Access on <A=20
=
href=3D"http://www.HowToNetworking.com">http://www.HowToNetworking.com</A=
><BR>&gt;=20
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on <A=20
=
href=3D"http://www.ChicagoTech.net">http://www.ChicagoTech.net</A><BR>&gt=
; This=20
posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.<BR>&gt; I recommend =
Brinkster=20
for web hosting! <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; "Nicolas" &lt;<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:Nic...@discussions.microsoft.com">Nic...@discussions.mic=
rosoft.com</A>&gt;=20
wrote in message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:72C3ECD0-29EC-4775...@microsoft.com">news:72C=
3ECD0-29EC-4775-...@microsoft.com</A>...<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;=20
Is their a default timeout period the OS waits when accesing a network =
share?=20
<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; Can this value be changed?<BR>&gt; =
<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
Thanks,</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0035_01C51E34.1D707890--