Can log onto VPN but cannot connect to resources

Don Tanner

May 2, 2003, 12:46:51 PM5/2/03
The client computer has been logging on successfully for about 6 months. We
use the VPN for SQL replication and to download the latest version of the
software from the server. The client is using WinXP Pro with MSDE SP3, which
is not the problem here.

The client can login to the VPN successfully but then can not access either
SQL server or the drive resources to copy programs. We suspect that for some
reason they are not making it to the domain. The VPN login does have the
correct domain in its login.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Don Tanner

Robert L

May 2, 2003, 1:53:11 PM5/2/03
can vpn client ping sql server ip and name? Check the DNS settings.

--
For more information, go to http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

"Don Tanner" <don@-deletethispart-csisoftworx.com> wrote in message

Don Tanner

May 4, 2003, 8:23:16 PM5/4/03
We can ping the sql server ip but not the name. We added the ip address and
the name to the lmhosts file and still cannot ping the name.

"Robert L" <nor...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Robert L

Don Tanner

May 5, 2003, 10:50:48 AM5/5/03
They do, I have 3 other remote servers set up the exact same way that are
working fine.

Do you have any idea why XP would ignore the lmhosts file?

Don Tanner

"Robert L" <nor...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Don Tanner

May 7, 2003, 9:01:28 PM5/7/03
Found a solution. We added the ip and name to the hosts file and the vpn
started working. We can now ping the host name and get a response. It seems
to be ignoring the lmhosts file for some reason???

Thanks

Don Tanner