Not accessible

Gary F. Pitel

Feb 7, 2003, 9:18:22 PM2/7/03
Windows 2000 Professional with 256 megs of ram.
Three computer network and we will name them #1, #2 and number 3. When
I am on this computer (#1 which shares the printer with the other two
computers) I can access the other two computers (#2 and #3) with no
problem. However the other two computers can't access this computer.
When I try I get the message: " \\Gary2\is not accessible. Not enough
memory is available. Quit some programs." The other two computers can
access each other but not the #1 computer. The #1 computer is sharing
all its partitions and the printer under sharing. How can I correct
this problem?
Thanks!

--
Gary F. Pitel
rd...@earthlink.net

Robert L

Feb 7, 2003, 10:26:14 PM2/7/03
Gary,

try one of them quoted from http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

... is not accessible

Message: "....is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this
network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
you have access permissions. The semaphore timeout period has expired."

Resolutions:

1) make sure no any firewall running.

2) you have create the same workgroup and logon the same username.

3) check user's rights.

4) you may want to enable guest account on w2k/xp.

5) if you are using simple file sharing, you may want to disable it and
re-share the drive manually.

6) if it is mixed (win98, NT, ME and W2K/XP) network, enable NetBIOS over
TCP/IP.

7) Make sure the Computer Browser service is started. Or stop Computer
Browser on w2k/xp if this is a mixed OS network.

8) Cache credential by using net use \\computername\share /user:username (it
is better to have the username logon shared computer).

--
For more information, go to http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Please don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

"Gary F. Pitel" <rd...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Gary F. Pitel

Feb 8, 2003, 2:43:45 AM2/8/03
Robert please notice that I am trying to answer your questions or suggestions. I
am doing this by your suggestions in this posting so go to your posting in this
reply. Thanks

Robert L wrote:

Gary,

try one of them quoted from http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

... is not accessible

Message: "....is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this
network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
you have access permissions. The semaphore timeout period has expired."

Resolutions:

1) make sure no any firewall running. I tried turning off the firewalls and it
made no difference. 2) you have create the same workgroup and logon the same
username. Yes I have.

3) check user's rights. All rights have been granted to every one and the
guest account.

4) you may want to enable guest account on w2k/xp. Yes I made a guest account

5) if you are using simple file sharing, you may want to disable it and

re-share the drive manually. I believe I did this by highlighting the drive
and right clicked it and selected sharing.

6) if it is mixed (win98, NT, ME and W2K/XP) network, enable NetBIOS over

TCP/IP. Not sure how to do this in Windows 2000. Could you help?

7) Make sure the Computer Browser service is started. Or stop Computer

Browser on w2k/xp if this is a mixed OS network. Don't understand this
suggestion.

8) Cache credential by using net use \\computername\share /user:username (it

is better to have the username logon shared computer). Sorry but don't
understand. I am the administrator and have no log on password on any of the
computers.

--
For more information, go to http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

I have gone to that sight and can't seem to find anything related to my
problem? I am really in need of help here since I tried everything I could think
of. I even reinstalled win 98 and that made no differenc. Am I correct in
stating that the problem computer is #1 since 2 and 3 can't access it? If on
computer #1 I go to Network Neighborhood and open the entire network and select
any drive that I sharing and double click on it I get this message: Not
accessible. Not enough server storage available to process this command.
However, I can open and access any drive on that computer by doing it thru
Windows explorer. Ask me any question and I'll try to answer it. I want to do
whatever is necessary to fix this problem!
Thanks your help is really appreciated.

Robert L

Feb 8, 2003, 12:20:07 PM2/8/03
1) is this a mixed os (w2k, xp, win98 and NT) network? if yes, go to
w2k>properties of the LAN>tcp/ip>advanced>wins, check netbios over tcp/ip.
2) also if this is mixed os network, go to w2k>MMC>services, stop computer
browser.
3) to test the settings, use command net view on all three computers.
compare the results or post here.

--

Robert L wrote:

[...]

Gary F. Pitel

Feb 9, 2003, 1:53:51 AM2/9/03
Ok I set the Netbios over tcp/ip and stopped the computer browser since I have a
mixed os network (w2k and win98). However I don't know how to test the settings
since where do I find or do the command net view?
Thanks you have great knowledge on the subject.
Gary

Robert L

Feb 9, 2003, 11:26:18 AM2/9/03
it is net view not net computer. also please don't use the background. it is
hard to read.

--
For more information, go to http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Please don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

"Gary F. Pitel" <rd...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Ok what am I doing wrong since I am not getting any information.
Gary

Philippe L. Balmanno

Feb 9, 2003, 2:04:23 PM2/9/03
If the type of LAN you have is peer-to-peer to share your printer,
open Printers on the system that has the printer attached #1.
Right-click the printer you want to share, and then click Sharing.
On the Sharing tab, click Shared as and then type a name for the
shared printer.

Shareing the printer with users on #2 & #3, first establish the
connection to #1 so that you can see #1's shared file & printers. You
may need to add logons for all three computers for permisions and if
using a workgroup make sure all three are on the same work goup. Then
open Printers in #2 and repeat for #3, click Add printer and point to
either My Network Places/Entire Network/Microsoft Windows
Network/Workgroup (or what ever you named the group)/(computer #1
name)/Printers (folder)/(then the printer you want) or My Network
Places/Computers Near Me/(computer #1)/Printers (folder)/(then the
printer you want). All that should be left is to make sure the apps
on #2 & #3 point to this printer when you want to print (set it as
default printer on #2 & #3 if it's the only printer.

Gary F. Pitel

Feb 9, 2003, 2:59:34 PM2/9/03
Just wanted to say thanks for the help.
Gary