Networking with Windows 2003

George Schneider

Nov 30, 2005, 10:14:17 AM11/30/05
I'm having a hard time figuring this one out. I have three Windows 20003
member servers in a location Main. We can get to the 2003 servers without a
problem from location Main. From an other site we canmot get to the Windows
2003 member servers. All sites have at least one Windows 2000 DC. We cannot
ping or browse to these servers from another site.
What in Windows would prevent form getting to these servers?

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Nov 30, 2005, 10:21:52 AM11/30/05
assuming the server doesn't have firewall blocking the ping, does it have two NICs?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

George Schneider

Nov 30, 2005, 11:35:12 AM11/30/05
yes.

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Nov 30, 2005, 1:05:48 PM11/30/05
Have you enable NAT? Posting the result of ipconfig /all or routing table here may help.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

Tom Che [MSFT]

Dec 1, 2005, 6:10:03 AM12/1/05
Hi George,

Thank you for posting here!

Could you ping or browse Windows 2000 DC in one site from another site? If
so, I think you may check the settings in Windows Firewall of Windows
Server 2003. The following KB article may be a good reference:

832017 Service overview and network port requirements for the Windows
Server system
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;832017

You may also try to access the shared folder on the Windows Server 2003 for
a test.

If you are unable to access the Windows 2000 DC between the sites, I think
you may consider Robert's suggestion, and check whether the IP settings or
route settings are collect. Please also let us know your network structure
for further assistance, and the detailed information will help us resolve
this issue as soon as possible.

Hope this helps.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,
Tom Che
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
>From: "Robert L [MS-MVP]" <nor...@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: Networking with Windows 2003
>Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 12:05:48 -0600
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking

George Schneider

Dec 1, 2005, 9:35:03 AM12/1/05
We can browse and ping DC controllers in the network without any issues. It
seems to be isolated just to a few servrs (the Windows 2003 serveres recently
implemented) where we cannot browse, connect to shares or ping from other
sites. Otherwise all connectivity is perfect between sites.

Tom Che [MSFT]

Dec 2, 2005, 3:43:55 AM12/2/05
Hi George,

Thanks for your reply!

Since the issue only occurs with a few Windows Server 2003 machines, you
may check the following items:

1. In the DC of the other site, use the following command to get a correct
route:
tracert IPAdress (replace the IPAdress with the IP of the DC on the site
has the Windows Server 2003)

2. Still in above DC, use the following command to get a abnormal route:
tracert IPAdress (replace the IPAdress with the IP of the Windows Server
2003)

3. Compare above results, and find out the Time Out occurs on which node
and then check whether there is anything wrong on that node.

<georgeds...@news.postalias>