Unable to add W2000 machine to network; Have tried past newsgroup ideas

1 view

Ed Katzman

Apr 2, 2003, 3:34:56 PM4/2/03
I cannot get a Win2000 Pro machine to be fully accessible on my home
network.
I have been following the newsgroup and trying possible solutions for about
three weeks, but nothing has worked yet.

Here are the details: Before the Win2000 Machine, network was two Win XP
machines and two Win 95 machines. As part of a work group, I had all
accesses to all machines, controlled by simple file sharing. Also, I was
successfully sharing and internet connection thru a cable modem and Linksys
router.

I added the Win2000 machine and have done the folllowing:
- Workgroup name is the same on all machines.
- Same user name with same password on all machines.
- Disabled simple file sharing on WinXP and did "advanced"

Here is what happens:

From Win2000 Machine:
I can access the internet with no problem.
In My Network Places I can see only the two win95 machines. If I try to
access their drives, I get "An unexpected network error has occurred."
WinXP machines don't show up.

From WinXP machines:
Network with other winXP machine and win95 machines works as before (no
problems) and I can access the internet.
In My Network Places , I can see the Win2000 machine listed, but if I try to
access, I get "You do not have the proper permissions to access. See your
administrator."

From the Win95 machines:
Network with win95 and winxp and internet works as before.
I can see AND access files from the Win2000 machine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Ed

Robert L

Apr 2, 2003, 6:24:31 PM4/2/03
use net view command on w2k, what do you get?

--
For more information, go to http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Please don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

"Ed Katzman" <westk...@attbi.com> wrote in message

Ed Katzman

Apr 2, 2003, 11:47:30 PM4/2/03
net view responds with only the W2000 machine, no others
"Robert L" <nor...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Robert L

Apr 3, 2003, 12:03:09 AM4/3/03
1. if you have created the same workgroup and user account on all computer,
make sure no firewall running.
2. can you ping each other by name? if yes, do net use \\w2kname command on
xp. if prompting username and password, enter them. if it doesn't work post
back with the error.
3. also check the master browser.

--
For more information, go to http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Please don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

"Ed Katzman" <westk...@attbi.com> wrote in message

Ed Katzman

Apr 3, 2003, 11:35:13 AM4/3/03
Robert: Thanks very much for your help. I'm very grateful.

1. I'm not sure how to check for a firewall. Can you help?

2. From XP boxes: Can ping other XP, 95's. Not W2000. I get "Ping request
could not find host \\w2kname. Check name and try again." (I can ping all
machines, including w2000, via IP addresses.)

Despite ping \\w2kname failure, I tried net use \\w2kname and got "System
error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found."

From 95's: Can ping XP's, other 95. Not w2000. I get "Bad IP address
\\w2kname" (I can ping all machines, including w2000, via IP addresses.)

From w2000: Can ping no machines by name, but can ping ALL via IP address.

3. How can I check master browser?
Browesr on 95 set to "automatic" I disabled on XP and w2000, but saw no
changes.

Ed

"Robert L" <nor...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Robert L

Apr 3, 2003, 1:58:04 PM4/3/03
it sounds like name resolution issue. so have you enable netbios over tcp/ip
on w2k? to do so, go to the properties of the
connection>tcp/ip>advanced>wins, check netbios over tcp/ip. post back with
the result.

--
For more information, go to http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Please don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

"Ed Katzman" <westk...@attbi.com> wrote in message

Ed Katzman

Apr 3, 2003, 3:44:28 PM4/3/03
This was not enabled. I did so, but saw no changes.

Ed
"Robert L" <nor...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Jun

Apr 4, 2003, 9:27:28 AM4/4/03
try to set 192.168.0.1 as the static IP for your 2000 with 255.255.255.0
netmask.

Jun

Ed Katzman

Apr 4, 2003, 10:40:31 AM4/4/03
This makes no difference to home network accessibility, but makes me unable
to reach internet from w2000 machine.
"Jun" <jun...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Jun Mu

Apr 4, 2003, 12:08:18 PM4/4/03
I am using Dial-up connection to access the internet. On w2k, two places
can setup IP. I setup dynamic IP for dial-up and static for LAN.

Ed Katzman

Apr 6, 2003, 3:19:15 PM4/6/03
I use a LAN connection reach internet; changing the IP to static doesn't
help the home network, but does cut off the internet.

Ed
"Jun Mu" <j...@staagimaging.com> wrote in message