Network W2000 - WXP ?

1 view

Erik Kullberg

Jun 5, 2003, 11:04:30 AM6/5/03
See my system description on http://w1.132.telia.com/~u13204740/

I am trying to make config. S2 work.
When I run "ping localhost", it looks fine on both computers."ping
name-of-A" on A resp. "ping name-of-B" on B works too.
When I run "ping name-of-B" on computer A, I get the answer that says that
computer "name-of-B" is unknown, and vice versa.

Why? What more should I do, than just
* connect the two computers with the cable and turn them on
* set ip address interval for incoming TCP/IP to 192.168.000.001 -
255.255.255.0 resp. 192.168.000.002 - 255.255.255.0 (as I have been
instructed)
* instruct the firewalls in both computers to allow traffic to/from the
two ip-addresses

I have got the advice to skip system layout S2 and go directly to S3 (still
there, Jim?). I will do so, but as long as I cannot make S2 work, I am not
sure that the computers are ok.

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

/ Erik Kullberg

Erik Kullberg
Address: Enhagsvägen 2
S-589 43 Linköping
Sweden
Tel home: +46 (0)13 21 94 35
Tel mobile: +46 733 56 19 56
E-mail: erik.k...@telia.com
My place: N 58 deg, 23.115' - E 015 deg, 42.137'
My place too: http://www.shell.linux.se/kueng/

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Jun 5, 2003, 12:16:35 PM6/5/03
change the ip to 192.168.0.x. the try to ping each by ip first. if it works,
ping each by name. post back with the result.

--
For more information, go to http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

"Erik Kullberg" <erik.k...@telia.com> wrote in message

Erik Kullberg

Jun 5, 2003, 1:57:53 PM6/5/03
On computer A:
"ping 192.168.0.1" does not work.
"ping name-of-A" works and the answer tells me that the ip is 127.0.0.1
"ping 127.0.0.1" works!
Corresponding result on computer B.

It looks like my ip setting did not work. Instead of me explaining how I
did that, maybe you would be so kind and tell me how it should be done?

/ Erik

"Robert L [MS-MVP]" <nor...@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Erik Kullberg

Jun 6, 2003, 3:58:59 PM6/6/03
Hereby what you asked for, and some more (including a crash course in
swedish):

Computer A
==========

C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows 2000 IP-konfiguration

Värddatornamn . . . . . . . . . . : privat-2lbik5l3 # Host computer
name
Primärt DNS-suffix . . . . . . . :
Nodtyp . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP-routning aktiverat . . . . . . : Ja # Yes
WINS-proxy aktiverat . . . . . . : Nej # No

C:\>ipconfig /renew *

Windows 2000 IP-konfiguration

Fel: Inga kort som är bundna till TCP/IP är aktiverade för DHCP
# Error: No cards bound for TCP/IP are activated for DHCP

Computer B
==========

C:\Documents and Settings\elgiganten>ipconfig /all

IP-konfiguration för Windows

Värddatornamn . . . . . . . . . . : RESERVEN # Host computer name
Primärt DNS-suffix . . . . . . . :
Nodtyp . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP-routning aktiverat . . . . . . : Nej # No
WINS-proxy aktiverat . . . . . . : Nej # No

Ethernet-kort Anslutning till lokalt nätverk:
# Ethernet card Connection to local network:

Medietillstånd . . . . . . . . . . : Mediet är frånkopplat #
disconnected
Beskrivning . . . . . . . . . . . : National Semiconductor Corp.
DP83815
/816 10/100 MacPhyter PCI Adapter
Fysisk adress . . . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-CD-32-B2-24

C:\Documents and Settings\elgiganten>ipconfig /renew

IP-konfiguration för Windows

Åtgärden misslyckades eftersom inget nätverkskort är
i ett tillstånd som tillåter åtgärden.

"Robert L [MS-MVP]" <nor...@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet

Marina Roos

Jun 6, 2003, 7:52:11 PM6/6/03
Try this ipconfig /all command again because this is not helping much. You
should see all kinds of IP-numbers.

Marina

"Erik Kullberg" <erik.k...@telia.com> schreef in bericht

Erik Kullberg

Jun 7, 2003, 1:53:44 AM6/7/03
I shut down and restarted the command interpreter (or whatever it is called
in English). Exacly the same result as before, for both computers.

/ Erik

"Marina Roos" <mar...@roos.nospam.nl.com> skrev i meddelandet

Marina Roos

Jun 7, 2003, 7:33:43 AM6/7/03
Have you configured the networkadapters and made sure they have the
TCP/IP-protocol and Client for Microsoft Networks?

Marina

"Erik Kullberg" <erik.k...@telia.com> schreef in bericht

Erik Kullberg

Jun 7, 2003, 1:25:36 PM6/7/03
So the list I presented in my original question is not complete?
Please tell me what I have missed and how to do it!
/ Erik

"Marina Roos" <mar...@roos.nospam.nl.com> skrev i meddelandet

Marina Roos

Jun 7, 2003, 1:46:03 PM6/7/03
Hi Eric,

You should have something like this:
Windows 2000 IP-configuratie

Hostnaam . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .: ROOS-THUIS
Primair DNS-achtervoegsel . . . . . . : test.local
Knooppunttype . . . . . . .. . . . : Hybride

IP-routering ingeschakeld . . . . . . : Nee
WINS-proxy ingeschakeld . . . . . . . : Nee

Ethernet adapter LAN-verbinding:

Verbindingsspecifiek DNS-achtervoegsel:
Beschrijving . . . . . . . . . . . . .: Intel(R) PRO/100 VM Network
Connection
Fysiek adres . . . . . . . . . . . . : 00-02-A5-B5-F5-05

DHCP-ingeschakeld . . . . . . . . . . : Ja
Autoconfiguratie ingeschakeld . . . . : Ja
Autoconfiguratie IP-adres . . . . . . : 169.254.105.5
Subnetmask . . . . . . . . . . . . . .: 255.255.0.0
Standaardgateway . . . . . . . . . . .:
DNS-servers . . . . . . . . . . . . . :

This is an example of a computer not being attached to a network.
What does this mean:

And do you have TCP/IP etc. installed?

Marina

"Erik Kullberg" <erik.k...@telia.com> schreef in bericht

Erik Kullberg

Jun 8, 2003, 3:16:52 AM6/8/03

Thank you, Marina!

"Åtgärden misslyckades eftersom inget nätverkskort är i ett tillstånd som
tillåter åtgärden"

means "The task failed since no network card is in a state that allows it".

Yes, I "believe" I have TCP/IP installed. Maybe the enclosed pictures can
help? They are from A.

I sent this message, including two picture late last night, but it was not
posted. You cannot send pictures this way?

/ Erik

"Marina Roos" <mar...@roos.nospam.nl.com> skrev i meddelandet

Marina Roos

Jun 8, 2003, 9:56:54 AM6/8/03
Hi Erik,

There is no attachment (and I don't know if this newsgroup allows them else
send them to my emailaddress without the nospam).
But there seems to be something wrong with your networkcard (the swedish you
translated).
Try to reinstall it.