How can I find MAC 000393df7d32 computer

1 view

bob lin

Mar 27, 2003, 1:11:04 PM3/27/03
Our DHCP is 10.0.0.2. But some computers get ip from 10.0.1.1 randomly and
they won't talk to others. I believe that we have one computer or router is
active as DHCP to assign ip to other computers. Using ARP -a I find the
computer or router MAC is 000393df7d32. How can I find the machine?

AD

Mar 27, 2003, 4:01:21 PM3/27/03
Hi Bob,

Surely you can see the IP address of this computer if you can see its MAC
address using arp -a, or am i missing the point?

cheers

Andy
"bob lin" <bobl...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

bob lin

Mar 27, 2003, 5:26:55 PM3/27/03
AD,

Thank you for help.

We know that a machine with ip 10.0.1.1, subnet 255.255.255.0 and MAC
000393df7d32 is making the problem, but we can't find the machine. ping -a
10.0.1.1 doesn't give the host name. Our DNS and WINS don't have this
machine records because our network is 10.0.0.0 and 255.255.0.0 (they are in
the different subnet). I am assuming that some one has a laptop as DHCP with
ip 10.0.1.1 and subnet 255.255.255.0. Whenever the laptop connects to our
network, it messes up our system.

How can we find the machine's host name with MAC 000393df7d32?

"AD" <ajd...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

dlester

Mar 27, 2003, 5:49:04 PM3/27/03
Have you tried to telnet into 10.0.1.1 to see if it's a
router?

>.

bob lin

Mar 27, 2003, 5:57:57 PM3/27/03
good point. I just tried it. all telnet 10.0.1.1, telnet 10.0.1.1 80, telnet
10.0.1.1 8000, and telnet 10.0.1.1 8080, returns "Could not open a
connection to 10.0.1.1"

any other suggestions?

"dlester" <dle...@nospam.com> wrote in message

todd

Mar 27, 2003, 6:43:36 PM3/27/03
Well, if it helps, the MAC address starting with 00-03-93 is identified as
an Apple device. So, I'd be looking for a Mac server or some other machine
running DHCP.

todd

Nut Cracker

Mar 28, 2003, 12:07:02 PM3/28/03
try using this:

nbtstat -A <ip address>

this should return the MAC on a Windows computer.

NuTs

"bob lin" <bobl...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

bob lin

Mar 28, 2003, 1:17:01 PM3/28/03
Nut,

Thanks for help. I tried it but got Host not found. I can png it but just
can't find the Host name. Any other suggestions?

bob

"Nut Cracker" <nutcr...@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message

Nut Cracker

Mar 28, 2003, 1:50:11 PM3/28/03
In that case, it is not a windows machine.

Could be a printer, or other IP device.

How are you with Perl?

NuTs

"bob lin" <bobl...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

bob lin

Mar 28, 2003, 1:55:08 PM3/28/03
Todd,

Thanks for the help. We are focusing on all Mac machines now and we may be
close to find it. I will post back with the result.

By the way, I used to have a document lists first 6 # of MAC assigned to
manufacturers. Do you know which web site has this information?

Thank you again.

bob

"todd" <fathe...@NOattbiSPAM.com> wrote in message

Robert L

Mar 28, 2003, 4:46:36 PM3/28/03
Nut,

I never use Perl. the first 6 # of MAC 000393 seems like Apple computer, I
am focusing on all our apple machines and will post back with the result.

Thanks.

bob

--
For more information, go to http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Please don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

"Nut Cracker" <nutcr...@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message

Hans Zangger

Mar 29, 2003, 2:25:12 PM3/29/03
http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/index.shtml

_hans

"bob lin" <bobl...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

bob lin

Mar 31, 2003, 12:03:58 PM3/31/03
Thanks. that is what I am looking for.

"Hans Zangger" <h.za...@swissonline.ch> wrote in message

bob lin

Apr 1, 2003, 11:37:13 AM4/1/03
Finally, we found the 000393df7d32 is Apple Airport wireless router. Thanks
for all help.

"Robert L" <nor...@hotmail.com> wrote in message