Workgroups and Domains

mcp6453

Jan 25, 2003, 3:43:01 PM1/25/03
So, I screwed up a friend's computer, and now I need to ask a question
to keep from doing it again. Her Windows 2000 notebook computer was a
member of a domain at her office. Her peer-to-peer workgroup at home is
called WORKGROUP. She wanted to be able to print to her shared printer
on her home (ME) computer. When I changed the network configuration on
the notebook to Workgroup instead of Domain and rebooted, not only was
she not a member of the domain, she cannot log into her computer
locally. Apprently she had login permission as a Domain User but not as
a local user. (Dumb idea.)

What SHOULD I have done to allow her to print to her local printer?

Robert L

Jan 25, 2003, 6:39:23 PM1/25/03
if you or she know the local administrator password. if not, she may need
her office administrator to rejoin the domain.

--
For more information, go to http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Please don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

"mcp6453" <mcp...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

mcp6453

Jan 26, 2003, 10:11:12 AM1/26/03
That is what she is going to have to do. When it happens, when Windows
automatically create a new user profile (user.001 or some such?) If so,
will the profile have to be moved from the old to the new, or will the
machine be like it was before this screw up?

What SHOULD I have done to enable the machine to see the shared printer?

Thanks,
Mike

Robert L

Jan 26, 2003, 11:46:08 AM1/26/03

after rejoin the domain, she will get the new profile like username.domain
and the old profile should be there like username.

Now, this quoted from http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech shows you how
to share file and printer in home and domain network.

Q: How can I share files between workgroup computer and domain/workgroup
computer?

I have a home wireless network and share files and a printer between two
computers. I also use Win 2000/XP laptop at work with domain network. How
can I share files between these computers at home?

A: Deepening on your network setup, you may 1) Logon local laptop using the
same logon id and password on both machine. 2) change workgroup name to
match win2000 domain and the laptop needs to install at home first ad then
join the domain . 3) without changing the workgroup name and logon ID, just
enable guest account in win 2000/XP. 4) If you are running XP, enable
Simple File Sharing. 5) logon domain user on the domain laptop (even the
workgroup is different), use command net use \\workgroupcomputer
/user:administrator, (here administrator is workgroup computer local
administrator), the enter workgroup computer administrator password. You
should be able to access the workgroup resources.

--
For more information, go to http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Please don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

"mcp6453" <mcp...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

mcp6453

Jan 26, 2003, 3:28:56 PM1/26/03