nnnn does not accept remote requests.

Dennis Keith

Dec 28, 2002, 12:49:05 PM12/28/02
It's probably a simple configuration problem, but I can't
figure it out.
2 PCs, 1 Wireless router (Linksys)

Internet connection for both machines is fine
Ping response from each machine to the other is fine
DHCP is enabled on both
TCP/IP Filtering is off on both
Win 2000 SP3 on both PCs

Problem:
I cannot access one machine from the other using the
explorer. When I do a search and then ask for the
properties of the object returned, I get the message "The
server nnnn does not accept remote requests."

I called Linksys and they, predictably, pointed the finger
at Microsoft.

Thanks for you time - any assistance would be greatly
appreciated.

Dennis Keith

Robert L

Dec 28, 2002, 6:09:46 PM12/28/02

Dennise,

Have you created the same workgroup and logon the same username on both
computers? If yes, post ipconfig/all so that we may be figure out the
problem.
For more information, go to http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech check
network analysis and troubleshooting.

Happy Holidays!

Please don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

"Dennis Keith" <73757...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

Dennis Keith

Dec 28, 2002, 8:17:09 PM12/28/02
Robert,

Yes, the same usernames have been created on both systems
and both systems belong to the same workgroup. I note that
the error message reads "Server (computer name) does not
accept remote requests." Both computers have Win2000 Pro
and not Server. I have attached the response from
ipConfig /all from my machine.

Thanks for your response

Dennis

>.

ipconfig.txt

Robert L

Dec 29, 2002, 2:13:01 PM12/29/02
Dennis,

That ipconfig looks good to me. can you ping the computer name? what do you
get if using net view \\computername?

--

For more information, go to http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Happy Holidays!

Please don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

"Dennis Keith" <73757...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

Dennis Keith

Dec 29, 2002, 2:33:28 PM12/29/02
Robert,

The ping response from each machine to the other is fine
but Net View \\(other computer name) returns:
The specified server cannot perform the requested
operation.

>.

Robert L

Robert L

Dennis Keith

Dec 31, 2002, 7:54:57 AM12/31/02
Robert,

When I tried net use, I got error 67 indicating that the
network name could not be found and when using net view, I
get error 58 with the message that the specified server

cannot perform the requested operation.

The settings on the properties for the TCP/IP advanced
show that IPSEC is not enabled and neither is the TCP/IP
filtering. On the WINS tab, even though there is no entry
for WINS (disabled), the LMHOSTS Lookup is checked and the
netbios setting is sourced from the DHCP server (the
router). On the DNS tab, the selection of 'Apppend primary
and connection specific DNS suffixes' is checked as is the
sub selection of 'Append parent ...'. The
selection "Register this connection's address in DNS" is
also checked.

This seems to have occurred since I set this lan up as a
DHCP with the LinkSys router supplying the ip addresses. I
will try to go back to the static IP scheme and see if
that makes any difference.

Again, thanks for the help. If I don't talk to you before
tomorrow, have a Happy New Year.

Dennis Keith
Aslan Engineering, Inc.

>.

Dennis Keith

Dec 31, 2002, 9:29:33 AM12/31/02
Robert,

No firewall has been installed on either machine. I don't
know what ICF is and so I don't know if it is enabled or
not.

Dennis

>.

Robert L

Jan 1, 2003, 12:45:44 PM1/1/03
Can the computer see itself from my network places? or try to remove all
network settings such as workgroup, client for ms networks, TCP/IP and file
and printer sharing, and then re-install them.

If re-installation does not work, try to load netBEUI (I don't like to ask
you to load two protocol but just for the test).

--
For more information, go to http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Happy New Year!