Problems with entering Share: Enter Network Password

Efstratios Tsantilis

Apr 4, 2003, 3:34:21 PM4/4/03

My computers A and B have W2K and are connected via network.
I defined a shares on computer A abnd B with no permission restriction. When
I try to access shares of A either from B or even from the computer A itself
(!) there comes a dialog box asking me for user identification ("Enter
Network Password"). I tried several things (e.g. <name of computer>\<user> )
but nothing worked. The dialog box remains.

When I try to access shares of computer B from A there is an error message
that the user (or his password) has expired.

Does anybody have an idea what all this means? Which user does is expected
?! How can I change this ?

Thank you,
Stratos

Robert L

Apr 4, 2003, 6:40:01 PM4/4/03
1. you may want to create the same user account and password on both
computers.
2. or just enable guest account.

--
For more information, go to http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Please don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

"Efstratios Tsantilis" <str...@tsantilis.de> wrote in message

Efstratios Tsantilis

Apr 5, 2003, 6:50:34 AM4/5/03
Thank you, but please consider the effect, that I cannot access the shares
from
the same computer !
There have to be some other access information that are maintained somewhere
else than in the share's definition.
I don't have a clue where. Are there general access information somewhere
for the whole computer ? (Registry ?!)
How can I trace or try to find out what is going on ?!

Please advice!
Stratos

"Robert L" <nor...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Robert L

Efstratios Tsantilis

Apr 5, 2003, 4:23:22 PM4/5/03
Thanks again, but I really tried a lot of things (disable share, create new
shares, (un)install of file sharing services), nothing works !
Do you have any ideas or methods to analyze the problem more
"systematically" ?!

Thanks,
Stratos

"Robert L" <nor...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Robert L

Efstratios Tsantilis

Apr 6, 2003, 6:44:20 AM4/6/03
OK,

--> net share on A

"E:\>net share
"
"Share name Resource Remark
"
"----------------------------------------------------------------------
"F$ F:\ Default share
"IPC$ Remote IPC
"D$ D:\ Default share
"G$ G:\ Default share
"E$ E:\ Default share
"ADMIN$ E:\WINNT Remote Admin
"H$ H:\ Default share
"C$ C:\ Default share
"cd I:\
"test_C C:\
"The command completed successfully.

--> net view on B

"D:\>net view \\urfaust
"Shared resources at \\urfaust
"
"Share name Type Used as Comment
"
"-----------------------------------------
"cd Disk
"test_C Disk
"The command completed successfully.

I think this problem has nothing to do with the shares but with an some
others network settings within the w2k administration.
Are there any network restrictions except those that are made in the share's
definition ? I have FAT32 hard disk format, so I don't have permission
settings on file/folder level.

I appreciate your help.
Thank you,
Stratos

"Robert L" <nor...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Efstratios Tsantilis

Apr 6, 2003, 8:18:22 AM4/6/03
Hi, another information that could be useful: I remember the shares have
worked fine when I installed w2k about 2 months ago.
I recently entered a hacker site that was able to browse my computer ! Could
it be, that this site changed something in the registry or network settings
?! I don't have firewalls or special security settings.

Any idea ?!
Thanks,
Stratos

Don Pomeroy

Apr 9, 2003, 7:34:40 PM4/9/03
I am having the same problem...

Mine does not show quite the same way but I believe it's the
same issue....

I can share between systems but ONLY if each system has the
same logon name available...

If you don't for example have JSMITH with appropriate
permissions on system A then JSMITH can't get to any shared
drives on system A from any other system.

This shows up and REALLY hoses an automated backup based on
DOS and PQ Drive Image. Since it can't issue passwords and
doesn't logon as a REAL user.

This has occurred AFTER installing a bunch, I'm trying to
decide which one, Hotfixes on the main system. It's also the
only one with the issue.

I also have an associate that has had this problem with
SECURITY hotfixes. He just ripped them all out...
Not the ideal solution. It is his belief that in an effort
to plug a security hole Microsoft tightened up security such
that unlisted users can't access a system any more. His
solution, at schools, has been to develop groups of logons
and simply mass install them everywhere as an immediate
workaround.

Maybe this shed some light on the issue.

Character is doing what's right regardless of whose
looking!!!!

DONP