Access is Denied

Randall

Feb 10, 2003, 3:35:15 PM2/10/03
I have a Windows 2000 PC on a Windows NT 4.0 SP 6
network. My computer name RANDALL shows up in the network
neighborhood and I can access mapped drives to the server
from my Win2000 PC. The problem is that no other
computers on the LAN (especially the server) can access my
PC.

In the past, I could double click on my computer name
RANDALL from the server and see the shared drives. Now,
when we do so, we get a message "Logon Failure: Access is
denied."

My computer name HENRY is being shared on the network. It
also has Netbios, TCP/IP, Client for Microsoft Networks, &
File & Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks.
How can I fix this problem?

Thanks.

Robert L

Feb 10, 2003, 6:23:20 PM2/10/03
if using the username that you logging on the w2k to logon another computer,
can you access the w2k? or enable guest account on the w2k, can other
computers access the w2k?

--
For more information, go to http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Please don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

"Randall" <i...@comforcestaffing.com> wrote in message

Randall

Feb 11, 2003, 11:23:23 AM2/11/03
Hello Robert,

To answer your question, if I logon to another Win2K PC
using my user name, I still CANNOT access my Win2K PC.
The guest account & administrator accounts are set up in
User & Passwords in Control Panel on Win2k PC.

FYI, this problem started after a backdoor virus hacked my
PC. The virus seemed to have affected my svchost.exe
file. I removed it. Regarding this problem, do I need to
check my Services or registry or SAM, WINS/DNS? The PC
works fine except for this problem. I cannot access my
Win2K PC from any other PC/Server on the network.

Thanks so much! This is a big problem.

>.

Robert L

Feb 11, 2003, 6:37:07 PM2/11/03
Randall,

use nbtstat -n, you should have 00, 03, and 20. if you don't have 20, the
server service is stopped. you need to start it. Or try to disable the
sharing and re-enable it.

--
For more information, go to http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Please don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

"Randall" <i...@comforcestaffing.com> wrote in message

Randall

Feb 12, 2003, 2:20:12 PM2/12/03
Robert,

Forgive me, but what is nbtstat -n (registry)? How do I
follow your directions?

Is disabling & re-enabling sharing as simple as unchecking
(hit apply) and then checking sharing in the properties?

Thanks,
Randall