Re: WinXP pc does not display Win2000 pc in Microsoft WIndows Network

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Oct 3, 2005, 8:34:00 AM10/3/05
what's the error code if using net view \\pcwxpname?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Hello, I've read over many threads and have yet to find a solution.
I have 2 pcs connected over a LAN network.  I want to view both pcs in
Microsoft Windows Network using Windows Explorer.

pcWXP is seen by pcW2000 (it even sees itself in...)in WindowsExplorer, but
not the other way around.  In System properties, both belong to a workgroup
of the same name.  I can ping the other pc successfully in both directions
using the IP number and the computer name.  pcW2000 has the second drive - D:
set to sharing enabled.  Using the command line in eigther pc: "net view"
will only display the name of pcWXP but not pcW2000.

Thank you.  I appreciate your help.

Daniel

daniel

Oct 3, 2005, 3:57:01 PM10/3/05
net view //pcW2000 garners error 51
net view without any flags, hangs my command prompt. Odlly, after booting
up pcWXP cannot long on to the internet for some reason.

Daniel

Ham Pastrami

Oct 3, 2005, 3:59:05 PM10/3/05
I posted about this a couple days ago and never got a clear answer. It seems
like you can access the Win2k machine just fine, XP just doesn't want to
show it, perhaps by design... If you want it to show up in Network Places
you have to manually add the machine, or at least that's what I did.

daniel

Oct 3, 2005, 4:10:05 PM10/3/05
> I posted about this a couple days ago and never got a clear answer. It seems
> like you can access the Win2k machine just fine,

The Win2K machine won't show in Microsoft Windows Network.
How do you manually add the machine?

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Oct 4, 2005, 12:49:55 AM10/4/05
make sure the computer browser and server services are running on the remote computer. Or do this command on the remote computer net share. please post back with the result.

System Errors
System error 51 has occurred - The remote computer is not available  ...
www.chicagotech.net/systemerrors.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

daniel

Oct 4, 2005, 2:46:18 PM10/4/05
Invisible pcW2000 - I typed net hsare on the command line and it returned:
D$ D:\ Default Share
ADMIN$ C:\ WINNT Remote Admin
C$ C:\ Default share
IPC$
The command completed successfully.

I boot up pcWXP, log on using an administrator account and try to open
workgroup and I get this error window:
[
Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
network resource. Contact the administratorof this server to find out if you
have access permissions.

Windows cannot find the network path. Verify that the network path is
correct and the destination computer (pcW2000) is not busy or turned off. If
Windows still cannot find the network path, contact you network admin.
]