MSI Error 2705

Jeff Beery

Nov 11, 2002, 12:47:27 AM11/11/02
Please help!

I have a large msi installation package using IS 7.04 as the authoring tool.
The installation project already uses many merge modules without any serious
problems. I am trying to include another merge module that I need into the
project. When I do, the install package builds just fine, but when I run it
I get an error during initialization:

"Internel Error 2705. Directory".

The full error message from MSI logging is:

DEBUG: Error 2705: Invalid table: Directory; Could not be linked as tree.

How do I debug what the merge module did to my Directory table? What does
this error message mean?

Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.

Jeff

Carolyn Napier [MS]

Nov 20, 2002, 10:07:12 PM11/20/02
The directory table specifies the directory layout for the product. If you
take all of your directories, they should form a single root. For the
directory table, this directory tree is determined using the values in the
Directory and Directory_Parent columns. The failure to form a tree could be
caused by a missing parent directory reference or by a circular directory
reference.

One suggestion is to run validation on your package (available in the
Windows Installer SDK using Orca or MsiVal2). The other suggestion would be
to go through your directory table to make sure that it does form a tree.

Hope this helps,
- Carolyn Napier [MS]
Microsoft Windows Installer Team

Check out the Windows Installer FAQ at:
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/community/centers/management/msi_faq.a
sp>

Please do not send email directly to the alias used to post to the
newsgroup. The alias is for newsgroup purposes only. This posting is
provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"Jeff Beery" <jeff_...@hp.com> wrote in message