HP scanner PETITION

1 view

Azar

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
Count me in I've only had the 3300c 3 months!

Azar
az...@azar.screamingREMOVEME.net

"Daniel L. Lieberman" <liebe...@home.net> wrote in message
> You just started the petition. Attach what follows here to the earlier
> postings and e-mail it to HP. This is particularly bad because it was on
the
> HCL.
>
> Daniel L. Lieberman
> liebe...@home.net
>
> "Mix" <please respond> wrote in message
> > Is there any way of getting a petition out to HP? There must be a whole
> lot
> > of people using scanjet 3xxx/4xxx ugrading to Windows 2k, simply because
> > it's a better OS than any windows 9x/me technology. I didn't spend over
> $200
> > on a scanner thats not going to work on future technologies. Win2k is an
> > upgrade for win95/98/NT, therefore HP should support Win2k. HP should
> > support there customer (like all their competitors do) and not be greedy
> > bastards.

CIMEBOAT

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
If you all go to symbios's website you'll find w2k drivers for the 416 series
scsi cards. These drivers coupled with HP's deskscan software(I believe ver.
2.8) will enable the HP 4,5 ,etc scanners to work!

SeBA

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
I had the same problem when passing from win95 to win98 with my 5100C
scanner, which had cost me over 300$ at the time!
I had the same problem to upgrade to win2k.
HP always comes out late with drivers...
SeBA

"Azar" <az...@azar.REMOVEMEscreaming.net> wrote in message

Maarten W.G. Andriessen

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
> > > Is there any way of getting a petition out to HP? There must be a
whole
> > lot
> > > of people using scanjet 3xxx/4xxx ugrading to Windows 2k, simply
because
> > > it's a better OS than any windows 9x/me technology. I didn't spend
over
> > $200
> > > on a scanner thats not going to work on future technologies. Win2k is
an
> > > upgrade for win95/98/NT, therefore HP should support Win2k. HP should
> > > support there customer (like all their competitors do) and not be
greedy
> > > bastards.

2 things. First of all, Windows 2000 is an upgrade to Windows NT, NOT to
Windows 9x. Windows Millenium, which is due this summer, is the official
upgrade to Windows 9x. If you are refering to the upgrade possibility in the
OS, You can also upgrade Windows 95 to Windows NT, but that does not make
Windows NT the follow-up of Windows 95.

Second, HP uses UMAX hardware internally. I got my HP 3200 C to work just
fine with UMAX software for Windows NT. It is quite a big download (22Mb)
and availble from www.umax.co.uk or www.umax.com

Furter, I do agree that Win2000 drivers should be made available, but HP
made it VERY CLEAR that scanners that do not support Windows NT, also will
NOT support Windows 2000. Scanners that DO support Windows NT, will be
supplied with Windows 2000 drivers, or already have Windows 2000 drivers.

Count me in for the petition though if yer making one :)

Maarten

tjmoore

Apr 2, 2000, 4:00:00 AM4/2/00
In article <8bo2du$5ft$1...@news.kabelfoon.nl>, "Maarten W.G.
Andriessen" <maarten.a...@NOSPAM.kabelfoon.nl> wrote:
[]

>Furter, I do agree that Win2000 drivers should be made
available, but HP
>made it VERY CLEAR that scanners that do not support Windows
NT, also will
>NOT support Windows 2000. Scanners that DO support Windows NT,
will be
>supplied with Windows 2000 drivers, or already have Windows
2000 drivers.

The point is that NT is *not* the issue here. Just because NT
doesn't support USB does not mean that HP therefore can rule out
all existing USB scanners (which at the time only work on 98 as
it's the only USB platform). Everyone was lead to believe that
the only reason for lack of NT support was just down to no USB
in NT.

Windows 2000 *does* have USB, and Microsoft have gone out of
their way to stress that this give access to the hardware base
that would previously only work on 98.

In terms of 'USB', Windows 2000 is far more of an upgrade from
98, than NT. It's just an excuse from HP to save themselves
effort.

Besides, the fix is extremely simple. It's not that the driver
doesn't work (the 98 driver is already Win2k compatible), it's
just that they haven't bothered to sort the install out. (See
http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/scanjet4200 for info).

It doesn't just stop there though. HP also refuse to work on
their DeskJet drivers, which *do* work on NT, and following
their 'upgrade' to Win2k argument, they HAVE to support. The
DeskJets do work on Win2k, but barely (you may as well have an
old dot-matrix for all the functionality you get).

It's just some management decision where HP have decided to
cease all support for existing products at NT/98. Win2k, as far
as they are concerned, is for new products only, and I suspect
the same will be true of 'WinME'.

With minium effort & cost and a bunch of stickers sent to
dealers, they can increase sales by adding Win2k support to
existing USB scanners that are currently still retailing (4200c
for example)... but then I suspect they want Win2k owners to pay
for far more expensive 'new' models.

Glen Newport

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
Im in the same big boat . There,s supposed to be a fix around for the win 98
drivers. NOT made by HP .Some concerned user with the ability can do it then
HP could do it with bells and whisltes ,only all the news groups indicate
that most functionality is gone with the few HP Win 2k drivers avaliable.
This fat gloating company is going to get sick with bed sores , and i hope
it loses alot of sales over this and maybe learns a lesson.
This is my scratch on this partition

"Daniel L. Lieberman" <liebe...@home.net> wrote in message
> You just started the petition. Attach what follows here to the earlier
> postings and e-mail it to HP. This is particularly bad because it was on
the
> HCL.
>
> Daniel L. Lieberman
> liebe...@home.net

Adam Leinss

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
"tjmoore" <tj_moore...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in message

> In article <8bo2du$5ft$1...@news.kabelfoon.nl>, "Maarten W.G.
> Andriessen" <maarten.a...@NOSPAM.kabelfoon.nl> wrote:
> []
> >Furter, I do agree that Win2000 drivers should be made
> available, but HP made it VERY CLEAR that scanners that do not support
Windows
> NT, also will NOT support Windows 2000. Scanners that DO support Windows
NT,
> will be supplied with Windows 2000 drivers, or already have Windows
> 2000 drivers.

The next consumer version of Windows (after Windows Me), codenamed Whistler,
will combine NT and 9x into one product and this product will be based on
Windows 2000
code (see www.winsupersite.com). Whether these companies like it or not,
they _will_
have to support Windows 2000 technology at some point or face declining or
no sales
when a new operating system comes out. For the record, my Agfa 1212U works
beautifully
on Windows 2000. It's the USB version and I got it from Techstore.com for
$90 about 3 weeks ago. Agfa
cares about their customers, HP does not.

Adam

Aron Hubbard

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
incorrect, the version AFTER windows ME will be what you speak of. ME is
the next purely consumer version.

--

__________________
Aron Hubbard