Re: Username length

Brian Desmond [MVP]

Sep 7, 2004, 8:58:31 PM9/7/04

14 is the max for NT4 compatibility. 127 is the AD limit. You can just key
in a long name in the AD Users & Computers dialog...

Brian Desmond
Windows Server MVP
desm...@payton.cps.k12.il.us

Http://www.briandesmond.com

"Long Username" <Long User...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What is the maximum username length for a Windows 2000/XP user? I have
read
> that 128 characters is the max, 64 characters is the recommended max, and
20
> characters is the max for NT 4.0 compatibility. Can anyone confirm? How
do
> I create a user with a username greater than 20 characters?

Darren Mar-Elia

Sep 8, 2004, 12:17:46 AM9/8/04
Brian-
20 characters for the SamAccountName is the max for pre-Windows2000
compatibility. Here's a reference to it:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/default.asp?url=/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/distrib/dsbe_ext_vmon.asp

Note however, that ADUC won't let you enter 20 char. You would need to do
this programmatically or through ADSIEdit. So you can only create a user
name with more than 20 char. if you're not in Pre-Windows2000 compatibility
mode.

--
Darren Mar-Elia
MS-MVP-Windows Management