Have the IE Opens Slow Problem -- RESOLVED

Google Mike

Jan 22, 2003, 7:37:05 PM1/22/03
I wanted to reply to an individual user's message, but for some reason
Google Group's newsgroup poster won't allow me to reply to individual
users. I can only post new messages to newsgroups. What's up with
that?

Anyway, there's a VERY common problem with IE 5/6 where it loads
extremely slow. Yet, when you use Netscape or other browser, it loads
and goes to its first website pretty fast -- far faster than your IE
browser. This is an aggravating problem with almost no help on the
Internet. I've found the resolution and I'm trying to post replies to
people's newsgroups that have this problem.

THE RESOLUTION:
When you see this, you'll notice that adding the -nohome option on the
end of the IE shortcut doesn't do much good except that it launches IE
fast, but then browsing to your first website will still be slow.
You'll also notice that browsing with another web browser has no
problem. If that's not the case for you, then don't attempt what I'm
going to share with you.

The problem 90% of the time is simple. You've got a corrupt Internet
Explorer extension. To fix it, just do this:

1. Close IE
2. If you have Active Desktop loaded, right click desktop, choose
Active
Desktop, and unload it by unchecking Show Web Content.
3. Ensure IEXPLORE.EXE is not in memory by looking in your Task
Manager
(CTRL+ALT+DELETE on W2K and XP). End this process if it is.
4. Open Regedit (start, run, regedit) and find the path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\

Backup this key by clicking the Extensions registry key/folder and
choose
Export File, backing that key/folder up to your My Documents folder or
something like that. In the event that my fix here doesn't work for
you, you
can always launch this REG file again to restore your registry again.

5. Underneath Extensions, you'll see some keys/folders that look
similar to
this:

{AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45}

That's a GUID, a link to your add-on to Internet Explorer.

6. Click on each of these click your keyboard's Delete key.

7. Close Regedit.

8. Launch IE. You'll notice I fixed you and you can delete the REG
file if I
did. You can thank me by typing 3 newsgroup posts about some problems
you
resolved. (Hey, that's how this system works.)

9. Reapply your Sun Java settings by going into Control Panel, opening
the
Java control panel, clicking Browser, rechecking Internet Explorer,
and
clicking Apply. If Java still isn't working, go get the plug-in again
from
the Sun website.

9. If I DID NOT fix you, then doubleclick the REG file to restore
those
settings. Then, try ONE of these:

a. Move all fonts temporarily to another folder. (Fonts are in the
control panel.) Reboot and launch IE. Fixed? Okay, move fonts back one
by
one until IE is broke again. Then, move the bad font out.

b. Rerun Internet Connection Wizard.

c. Uncheck your browser from the Sun Java control panel. If that
fixed
it, then you need to get Sun Java again from the Sun website.