Defragment qsuestion

Bob Lin

Nov 5, 2003, 3:45:54 PM11/5/03
1. Is there any way to schedule to run defrayment?
2. How you let a regular user run the defrayment without assigning him
administrator rights?

Thank you.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN, Anti-Virus, Tips & Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

Pegasus (MVP)

Nov 5, 2003, 4:20:45 PM11/5/03
You need a third-party tool:

http://www.morphasys.com/autodefrag/

Run it under the Task Scheduler, using an account that
has appropriate privileges.

"Bob Lin" <nor...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Bob Lin

Nov 5, 2003, 8:03:03 PM11/5/03
Thank you.

--
For more and other information, go to http://www.ChicagoTech.net

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN, Anti-Virus, Tips & Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I....@fly.com> wrote in message

Vanguard

Nov 5, 2003, 11:35:56 PM11/5/03

The defrag tool provided in Windows 2000 is a restricted version of
DiskKeeper. You'll need the full version of DisKeeper
(http://www.execsoft.com/) to schedule defrags, or someone else's defrag
tool. Microsoft dumbed down the defrag tool in Windows 2000 to where it
rarely gets ran simply because it must be ran manually. I'm still using
SpeedDisk from Norton Utilities 2002; after applying Service Pack 4, it
bitches that it may no longer be compatible but I haven't had a problem
yet with it (knock on wood). It's the only remaining function of NU2002
and when I can't use it anymore than NU gets uninstalled.

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

Ricardo M. Urbano - W2K/NT4 MVP

Nov 6, 2003, 1:14:07 PM11/6/03

Then maybe you should be considering tossing NU because SD has been
known to cause data loss. Not to mention that Symantec is getting out
of the defrag business and is recommending Raxco's PerfectDisk as an
alternative.

SD is service pack dependent since they reinvented the wheel and wrote
their own defrag api's rather than use the MS ones. This allows them to
do things like defrag the pagefile online and defrag volumes w/ clusters
larger than 4K, but it makes them SP dependent, it can't defrag the MFT
(significant issue) or other metadata, and vulnerable to data loss
and/or corruption.
--
Ricardo M. Urbano
Microsoft Windows 2000/NT MVP

Vanguard

Nov 6, 2003, 4:44:02 PM11/6/03

So who at Symantec is saying it is recommending Raxco? Maybe Rob Clyde,
Chief Technology Officer, who used to work at AXENT spun off from Raxco
and who merged with Symantec? Got any links showing *Symantec's*
recommendation for Raxco to verify your claim that they are recommending
it? You say SpeedDisk doesn't have features but articles dated back in
2000 say it does
(http://www.entmag.com/archives/article.asp?EditorialsID=4445).
However, then you read something like
http://www.ta.com/investments/result_software.asp?ID=50 which says TA
invested in Raxco which got spun off into Axent which then merged into
Symantec. So why would Symantec be recommending a product for a company
it already owns instead of also merging any better technologies into
their own products? Symantec likes to eat up other companies. Remember
Central Point and their PC Tools product? I knew when Symantec ate them
up, and despite their promises, that PC Tools would disappear and NU
would continue, and that's what happened. It's hard to figure out if
Raxco is still independent, a subsidiery, an affiliate, or what because
raxco.com doesn't mention anything of Axent or Symantec regarding their
business entity. You can find Symantec making mention of the Axent
merger at http://www.symantec.com/press/2000/n001218a.html. Maybe Axent
was a spin-off of Raxco and so the merger of Axent with Symantec still
left Raxco standing, but then what the hell did Axent take with it as a
spin-off of Raxco that Symantec would want? http://snurl.com/2v7y
doesn't mention Axent having disk utilities, like a defragmenter, so
maybe Raxco held onto that product when they spun off Axent. Although
axent.com is still registered and an IP address still listed for it in
DNS, I can't open www.axent.com to see what products they had that
Symantec swallowed up.

They all have problems, like screwing over GoBack (which I actually had
to get rid of because I wanted to use Powerquest's BootMagic for
multibooting, and only one program can usurp the MBR). SpeedDisk
rightly checks for OS version and service pack level because you get
Microsoft, for example, sliding in NTFS5 in Service Pack 6 for Windows
NT 4.0 without notifying users and which caused problems for
defragmenters. Since Microsoft opted to use a dumbed version of
DisKeeper, and since Microsoft knows their own file systems and whom
might best support them, then I'd go with Diskeeper (when SpeedDisk ever
starts showing problems with its defrag of my drives). When and if I
have problems with SpeedDisk is when I'll change. And if the problems
you mention appear, then I'll restore using my disk images and backups
and move onto something else. However, Norton SystemWorks 2004 still
includes Norton Utilities which has SpeedDisk so it doesn't look to me
like Symantec is abandoning that utility. They did, however, abandon
WinFax in their SystemWorks Pro.

Ricardo M. Urbano - W2K/NT4 MVP

Nov 7, 2003, 11:56:15 AM11/7/03

I have not heard or read anything about the PerfectDisk recommendation
from a Symantec source, but rather from Greg Hayes, whom, if you
regularly read this groups, you should recognize. He's very active in
these, is a tech support guro from Raxco, and recently became a NTx file
system MVP. He really knows his stuff.

I've used both SpeedDisk and PerfectDisk, but not DiskKeeper. I know
that I would never go back to SD.

I have no idea what the relationship is between Raxco and Symantec, but
I do know that PD is very much still a Raxco product and they are
actively developing and supporting it. In fact, just this year, PD 6.0
was released and included support for W2K3 AD. Very sweet. I could be
wrong, but I think that at least as of the spring, the DK product didn't
include AD support.

Also, I'm pretty sure there is no longer an enterprise version of SD,
but PD includes enterprise features in PD.

I'm not touting one over the other (although I do love PD), I'm just
trying to make sure we aren't misrepresenting any company or product, so
I'm just trying to put out there what I know, what my experience has
been, and what I've read/heard and from whom.

Vanguard

Nov 7, 2003, 5:48:36 PM11/7/03

It's nice to know there are some high-powered defragmenters out there to
choose from. Like I said, if SpeedDisk goes (it becomes incompatible or
I decide to try something else) then the entire Systemworks suite goes
because there's nothing left of it that I need, want, or haven't found a
better (and often free or very cheap) alternative. When they dropped
Winfax "lite" I then got forced to figure out the Fax Service in W2K.
Not as greatly featured as Winfax but I never needed many features. All
my inbound faxes come through an e-fax service via e-mail (as an
attachment) and fax damn little, like once a month at most. When I need
to make the decision (or want to because I get itchy to try something
new and better), both PerfectDisk and Diskeeper have demos that I can
check out.

Again, thanks for the info.

Vaughn McMillan - Executive Software

Nov 7, 2003, 7:41:35 PM11/7/03
On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 11:56:15 -0500, "Ricardo M. Urbano - W2K/NT4 MVP"
<rm...@columbiaSPAM.SUCKSedu> wrote:

<snip>

>I could be wrong, but I think that at least as of the spring, the DK product didn't
>include AD support.

Ricardo, you're partially correct... this spring, Diskeeper did not
have AD support, but Diskeeper Administrator Edition, released a
couple of months ago, does. The Administrator Edition isn't a
defragger per se, it's essentially an administrative console for
installing, configuring, monitoring and otherwise controlling
Diskeeper throughout a network.

I hope this helps -

Vaughn McMillan
Executive Software

Jisha

Nov 7, 2003, 11:38:53 PM11/7/03
Ha! Good luck uninstalling Norton systemworks.... I've found it to be
impossible... unless you want to put up with the mess it leaves!

Better reinstalling from scratch...

"Vanguard" <no-e...@post-reply-in-newsgroup.nix> wrote in message

Greg Hayes/Raxco Software

Nov 10, 2003, 6:03:37 PM11/10/03

Axent Technologies was Raxco's security division - specilizing in security
products like single sign on, firewalls, etc... - until they were spun off
as a public company back in 1996 (shortly before I started at Raxco). Axent
Technologies took with them as part of the spin-off all of the security
products - leaving Raxco Software with OpenVMS and Windows non-security
products. Since the Axent/Raxco split, Raxco has come out with numerous
Windows products - and we still have our OpenVMS products.

Axent Technologies has since been acquired by Symantec (back in 2000).
Raxco is still a privately held company - separate from Axent Technologies
and Symantec.

Earlier this year, the VP of sales at Symantec sent a letter to all of their
enterprise customers notifying them that Symantec had discontinued
maintenance and development of the enterprise version of SpeedDisk and
recommending to their customers that they look at PerfectDisk instead for
their enterprise defragmentation needs. If you were a current SpeedDisk
maintenance or enterprise customer, you would have received this letter - it
was sent first class on Symantec letterhead.

- Greg/Raxco Software
Microsoft MVP - Windows File System

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a
commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.

Want to email me? Delete ntloader.

"Vanguard" <no-e...@post-reply-in-newsgroup.nix> wrote in message

Ricardo M. Urbano - W2K/NT4 MVP

Nov 11, 2003, 12:58:51 PM11/11/03

Yes it does, Vaughn. Thanks very much for the update. I really don't
want to misrepresent any product or company here, so I do appreciate the
info.

How's your back doing, by the way?

Ricardo M. Urbano - W2K/NT4 MVP

Nov 11, 2003, 1:00:06 PM11/11/03

Greg, as always, thanks for the informative post and setting us straight
;->

Vaughn McMillan - Executive Software

Nov 13, 2003, 8:10:47 PM11/13/03
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 12:58:51 -0500, "Ricardo M. Urbano - W2K/NT4 MVP"
<rm...@columbiaSPAM.SUCKSedu> wrote:

>Yes it does, Vaughn. Thanks very much for the update. I really don't
>want to misrepresent any product or company here, so I do appreciate the
>info.
>
>How's your back doing, by the way?

You're very welcome, Ricardo. You're one of the folks here who can be
relied upon to be fair and honest in your representation of things.

The back's quite a bit better -- after 18 months in a full body brace,
I've been "free" since about February. I'm not yet back to 100% but
likely never will be. I can't complain too loudly, though, because at
least I can walk. Many scenarios could have been worse.

Thanks -

- Vaughn

Ricardo M. Urbano - W2K/NT4 MVP

Nov 14, 2003, 3:08:51 PM11/14/03
Vaughn McMillan - Executive Software wrote:

Glad to hear it Vaughn, and keep up the excellent attitude; that's more
than half the battle!