DNS appends own domain to all queries

Walter Hauser

Jul 26, 2001, 7:45:05 AM7/26/01
hallo

I have a confusing (for me) problem with windows 2000 dns:
I have w2k server sp2 and dns installed.
in tcp/ip properties the dns of the server and 2 of my ISP are configured as
dns servers
my dns is primary dns for my domain (lets call it mydomain.com)

every time I try to query a other host or domain (domain.com or
www.domain.com) with nslookup
I get a reply like this one:

domain.com.mydomain.com canonical name = myserver.mydomain.com

someone can tell me why it attaches always the domain mydomain.com to the
host/domain and points to myserver?

thanks!

walter

this are the settings in TCP/IP DNS Properties (the standard settings,
didn't change much I believe...):

(x = selected, - = not selected)

X append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes
- append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix
- append these DNS suffixes (nothing entered here)

- DNS suffix for this connection (nothing entered here)
- Register this connections adresses in DNS

The Primary DNS suffix of this Computer (Properties DNS Suffix and
NetBIOS Computer name) is mydomain.com

Daniel R. Patrick

Jul 26, 2001, 10:18:22 AM7/26/01
You have apply parent sufix name checked on the advaced tab of the client.

Dan.

"Walter Hauser" <forum-...@gmx.net> wrote in message

Roger Abell

Jul 26, 2001, 9:04:00 PM7/26/01
This is an nslookup thing.
You are not using the FQDN in your query because
you are not using the trailing "."
This tells nslookup to try with the configured default
domain appended.
This is all roughly explained in then help internal
to nslookup

--
Roger Abell - MS MVP (Windows Platform)