How do I browse other domains with AD?

1 view

David Thom

Oct 22, 2001, 2:58:16 PM10/22/01
Just installed my first child AD domain...

So, what do I need to do to allow "browsing" (via Win explorer) between
domains? At present, I can't see the parent from the child, or vice-versa.

David Thom

Robert Gillies

Oct 22, 2001, 8:19:56 PM10/22/01
WINS is still required for browsing. Make sure that you have a good WINS
architecture spanning the domains.

--
Robert Gillies, Microsoft

Please do not send email directly to this alias. This is my online account
name for newsgroup participation only.

I've been "encouraged" to share this helpful information from our lawyers.
You assume all risk for your use. © 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
reserved.

"David Thom" <dav...@npsinc.com> wrote in message

David Thom

Oct 23, 2001, 9:20:24 AM10/23/01
You're kidding!

So, how can I achieve the functionality of "browsing" using only AD/DNS (and
not needing a WINS info-structure).

Can I "publish" the various computer's shares via AD and achieve the
equivalent of browsing??

I could have sworn that the early AD propaganda promised that WINS would no
longer be needed.

David Thom

"Robert Gillies" <rgillie...@microsoft.com> wrote in message

Robert Gillies

Oct 23, 2001, 8:17:19 PM10/23/01
The removal of WINS and NetBIOS was not a design goal of Windows 2000. In
fact, it is not a design goal of Windows .NET either. WINS is simple and
stable, so just set it up. There are many things that still require WINS.

- configuring a Windows 2000 cluster
- Exchange 2000 setup
- browsing
- any "downlevel" client finding the DCs

You will run into many problems if you don't have WINS. You're best bet is
to just do it. NetBIOS name resolution is still required, you just can't
get away from it in most cases.