How do I replace the root server in my enterprise?

Tim

Jun 10, 2003, 3:52:37 PM6/10/03
I'm replacing my primary server in my large network.
This server is the root of everything, active directory,
DNS, etc. I don't think it's as simple as just bringing
the new server online. I not even sure where to begin.

Thanks

Stevta [MSFT]

Jun 10, 2003, 4:17:19 PM6/10/03
If the new server can have a different name its pretty
straight forward.
DCpromo up another server.
Transfer th FSMO roles over to the new server
Install DNS on new server and point all client and the
other dc here for DNS.
Install dhcp if its being used.

Dcpromo down the old server.

If the server name is being replaced its usually easier to
bring up a new machine as an intermediary. So there is
twice as much work.

You would have to do this if clients are pointed to the
first dc statically by name. Such as a print or file share
name.

>.

Tim

Jun 10, 2003, 5:58:00 PM6/10/03
OK, thanks, but one more question. What the hell is FSMO
roles? What's the acronym stand for.

Thanks

>.

Tim

Jun 10, 2003, 6:08:31 PM6/10/03
OK, just found out that the new server has to have the
same name as the old one. So, I have to do it the hard
way. If there is a KB article or Technet doc that can
explain how to do this that would be great.

BTW, this is a brand new server, not an existing one, so
would I need to attach this server to the domain before I
do this? And what about transfering the AD and schema,
will all of this be transfered to the new box when the
roles are transfered?

Thanks,

Tim

>.

Nimish Mathur

Jun 10, 2003, 6:09:44 PM6/10/03
Flexible Single Master Operation.
its like different roles for different purposed on different servers or all
in one. as per your convenience.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b197132
this link will help you understand these things,

HTH
Nim

"Tim" <tda...@ats-computers.com> wrote in message