Grupos de Google ya no admite nuevas publicaciones ni suscripciones de Usenet. El contenido anterior sigue siendo visible.

Joing two Domains with same name

Visto 3 veces
Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

Alan

no leída,
6 jun 2002, 3:54:076/6/02
I have two separate domains, and each has the same name.
i.e. vwxyz.com

One domain has 300 users in A/D and the other has 1000.
The Domain with 300 users has internet access , while the
domain with 1000 does not. I need to connect the latter
domain so that they get access to the same internet
gateway as the domain with 300 users.

What will happen when I simply connect them together? I
have been told that the AD will NOt replicate between the
two, and therfore not have 1300 users spread across AD in
both parts of the new bigger domain.

Will I have to remove AD from the latter domain, join the
two and then add the users again?

sam

no leída,
6 jun 2002, 4:05:426/6/02
if the bigger domain is in NAtive mode then you may be able to use movetree
and move the users then demote the smaller domain DC and rename the domain,
otherwise no replication will happen. I am not even sure it will work as
there may be DNS conflict more likely.

otherwise you could use ldifde.exe and csvde.exe. all in all , good luck.

Also you cannot just SIMPLY connect them. I take it they are in separate
forests, if this is the case then a trust relationship may be possible.

"Alan" <a...@cooperscoborn.co.uk> wrote in message

Nimish Mathur (MCSE)

no leída,
6 jun 2002, 4:06:346/6/02
you will have to remove AD from one of the domains. 2 domains with the same
domain name cannot coexist. how ever if you are running one of the domains
in mixed mode then an ideal solution would be to demote that domain backto
NT4 domain by adding a NT4 BDC, plugging out your win2kDCs and promoite the
NT4 BDC toPDC. rename the netbios domain name. and use ADMT to migerate
users from the NT domain to win2k domain.

process is not as easy as it sounds so better try it in a test enviornment
b4 working on productions

"Alan" <a...@cooperscoborn.co.uk> wrote in message

Nimish Mathur (MCSE)

no leída,
6 jun 2002, 4:11:296/6/02
since thet have the same domains name.movetree and trusts cannot be
established. i cannot say about ldifde.exe as i yet have to dosome work on
it.
anothe possibility is to rename one of the domains. but again that has to be
in mixed mode. reffer to the following article for the purpose.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q292541

Nimish

"sam" <sam_sy...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

sam

no leída,
6 jun 2002, 5:18:276/6/02
ldifde and csvde is your best bet. the other way is going back to NT as per
the other post.

"Alan" <a...@cooperscoborn.co.uk> wrote in message

Ace Fekay

no leída,
6 jun 2002, 22:11:396/6/02

"Alan" <a...@cooperscoborn.co.uk> wrote in message

To answer your question about the gateways, you could have each domain point
to their own separate DNS servers to keep AD running in their own respective
domains and then give them a common gateway to give Internet access on the
same subnet? I don't see if there will be a prob as long as you keep with
TCP/IP since name resolution occurs thru DNS. But if you are in mixed mode
and still have down level servers, that could pose a problem due to NetBIOS
broadcasts unless you are using WINS in each respective domain. Granted
trusts cannot be made between them because of the identical names as Nimish
mentioned in his post.

But obviously this is a lame solution. As the other posts mention, you're
gonna have to sooner or later combine the users by some sort of solution to
export the users out of one of the domains with some sort of script method
into a txt file (using ldfide, csvde as the other posts have mentioned) or
even a VBS script and then import them into the new domain.

Here's another tact to combine them (that is if you trying to do so). You
could build another machine with AD in it's own forest for the sole purpose
of having an intermediate domain for a migration, which could be
decommissioned after you're done. Once you have it built, you could then use
ADMT or cloneprincipal (or whatever 3rd party tool you like) to move the
accounts from one of the domains that you want to get rid of and put them
into that new domain. Keep in mind you wouldn't be needing the SIDHistories
for these users since it would be a problem trying to connect to their
former resources because of the identical names. Then when that's
accomplished use ADMT again to move them into the other existing production
domain.

Ace

0 mensajes nuevos