View history from within Visual Studio 2005 grayed out

blue

Feb 15, 2006, 2:04:11 PM2/15/06
I am connecting to a source safe internet database via Visual Studio
2005. I can do all of the normal functions (get, checkout, checkin,
etc.), but "view history" is grayed out. Is there a setting somewhere
that I am missing for this? I have read/write permissions in source
safe, and also administrator rights on the server to which I'm
connnecting to.

Thanks for any input,
Frank

Alin Constantin [MSFT]

Feb 15, 2006, 11:47:14 PM2/15/06
Hi Frank,

VSS Internet plugin does not support Properties and History functions.
--
Alin Constantin

"blue" <flu...@configsc.com> wrote in message

Mario

Mar 21, 2006, 7:53:28 PM3/21/06
Alan, are you aware of any commercial/free component that does support the
history?

Or even better a SDK that I can use to develop my own view history plug in...

thx

Alin Constantin [MSFT]

Mar 25, 2006, 4:04:53 PM3/25/06
Hi Mario,

If you need History functionality when working over Internet, you have these
- use VPN connection to the server and then use VSS LAN plugin to access the
database (LAN plugin supports history)
- use 3rd party providers that allows accessing VSS databases over Internet
(see a list at http://alinconstantin.net/webdocs/scc/VSS_Resources.htm);
they don't use VSS Web Service though (they either have their own aspnet
service or proprietary tcp-ip based solutions)

There is no SDK for VSS Web Service (functions are undocumented, as they are
supposed to be used only by the VSS Internet plugin), and there is no
History functionality implemented in the web service side (so you can't
retrieve history information anyway).

--
Alin Constantin

"Mario" <Ma...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message